BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Letters of Recommendation for Eagle candidate

Can letters or recommendation be emailed to the scoutmaster or advancement coordinator? Boys in the past have sent letters to the people on their recommendation list. I know for confidentiality sake they wish to not use electronic communication, but wonder if is growing more acceptable now that so much is sent via email.
TIA

GTA clearly says those letters are not the scouts or units responsibility. It is the bors job to get them if wanted

1 Like

I’ve been specifically told not to send them electronically. From the Guide to Advancement:

9.0.1.7 References Contacted
Council advancement committee members—or others
designated—have the responsibility to secure recommendations from the references appearing under requirement 2 on the Eagle Scout Rank Application. This may be done by letter, form, or phone call. For reasons of privacy and confidentiality, electronic submissions are discouraged.
It is acceptable to send or deliver to the references an
addressed envelope with instructions, and perhaps a form to complete. Scouts may assist with this, but that is the limit of their participation. Scouts are not responsible for follow-through or any other aspect of the process.

1 Like

Thanks. I should say I am the BOR coordinator too. My hope was to get more clarity on the acceptability to use a LOR that came via email to the BOR committee/coordinator…Our council has the boys send a letter signed by the SM to their references with a stamped envelope that will be sent back to the SM. SM then passes it to me (Advancement/BOR coordinator) where I keep it sealed until the BOR.
The GTA says they can do this part,

It is acceptable to send or deliver to the references an addressed envelope with instructions, and perhaps a form to complete. Scouts may assist with this, but that is the limit of their participation.

Yes, I see that it says it is discouraged to send electronically. I take that as not the desired way, but would not negate the LOR if it came to me that way. Is that your opinion too?
Thank you,
Holly

IMHO, if you ask for it to be sent via snail mail and they send it electronically, I would count it. We don’t punish scouts for adults who don’t follow the rules (or simple instructions). Of course, I’m assuming that your letter to them doesn’t even hint at sending it electronically.

Note: I’m not in a position where this is part of my duties. So, take my advice for what it’s worth.

1 Like

Holly, I would recommend talking to your district/council advancement coordinator.

1 Like

Yes, not in letter to send via email. Thanks!

Good Idea. Thank you.

I have E-mailed recommendations only under extenuating circumstances.
Because our council does not actually handle securing recommendations (they effectively designate the scouts to do so much like @HollySutcliffe’s council does), I send open letters. I.e., I make sure the scout gets a copy since he is taking the trouble to do the BoR’s work for them.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.