Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Lone AOL and Scouting adventure

My daughter is the only female AOL scout in her pack, and has been motivated to work on scout rank and achievements, while we all shelter in place, so I was wondering what advice or suggestions anyone has for earning Scouting adventure #3, where they are supposed to take leadership roles in their patrol, if she’s the only one in her patrol.

Please send your creative ideas! She has 7 older brothers and sisters, all have been scouts or are still scouts and she is excited to move up to a troop soon.

Are there any other female Webelos in the pack?

1 Like

No, she’s been the only girl in the den for two years now, one girl last year stayed only 3 months, another joined then came back only once. A friend that I staffed Woodbadge with is now an SM for a girl troop nearby, and we already know she is going there.

She could do these requirements with the boys in your pack.

While not ideal, that would be possible if they were meeting at all.

Thanks all, I have gotten some great ideas and we are moving forward.

Given that the standard is “do your best”, there’s a lot of flexibility to how to meet the requirements, given the complex circumstances. I would try to aim for something like the following, in your situation.

Since the pack isn’t meeting, organize a patrol of siblings or better still work with the other den leader to organize a joint “den” meeting, with the AoL-level Webelos serving as your den “patrol leader”. Conduct the various parts of the Scouting Adventure. Come up with a patrol name. Design and prepare a patrol flag. Create and practice a patrol yell. See if one of the older scout siblings could act in some ways as a “den chief” to help teach some of the symbolism of the First Class badge, how advancement in a troop works and differs from advancement in the pack, what scouts’ roles are in a troop and how those differ from leadership in the pack. Arrange to “visit” your friend’s troop eMeeting to see how that unit is conducting business under these extenuating circumstances.

I would approach this (and present it to the scouts) as an opportunity to learn about adapting to difficult circumstances and application of the scout motto. Who knows, this might even motivate the other den leader to undertake meetings with his or her own den separately to continue their Adventures.

Her brothers are ready and willing to help. It’s a good lesson for them to see how much effort and volunteer time older scouts and adult leaders put into helping out the youth.

Elizabeth

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.