Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Long cruise arcs in Sea Scout awards?

I did a search in the forums and didn’t see an answer for this; my apologies if it has been discussed and I didn’t see it.

Are there any plans to allow for Long Cruise arcs, red and white, to be recorded in Scoutbook? I have scouts that have earned multiple arcs and I don’t have any way to put that in their advancement. I have been adding a line in the Long Cruise log with 0 nights and the activity titled “Red Arc Awarded” just to have the date captured somewhere; but I’m not sure that’s a great way for the scouts’ individual histories to show the accomplishment. I imagine that when gold and silver devices are coded into Scoutbook for the National Outdoor Awards, this would be a similar kind of add.

I would love this ! As a gentle reminder, adult leaders also earn long cruise and long cruise arcs.

2 Likes

Long Cruise Award References

• 2016 Sea Scout Manual, 12th ed., 33239,ISBN 978-0-8395-3239-2, ©2016 Boy Scouts of America, 2016 Printing

Advancement and Recognition, Other Recognitions

pp. 67-68

Long Cruise Badge

The Long Cruise badge may be earned by both youth and adults registered in Sea Scouts. Once the individual has complete the requirements that follow, the Skipper submits an advancement report to the Boy Scout local council service center where the badges can be secured.

It is recommended that all Sea Scouts and adult leaders qualifying for the Long Cruise Badge maintain a log of their cruising experiences. This log will be useful for Scout advancement, U.S. Coast Guard licensing, US Sailing certification, and chartering.

A Sea Scout must be Ordinary rank before he or she can start recording cruising time for the Long Cruise badge. The Sea Scout must cruise for two weeks on any vessel or boat provided by the local council or the ship, or their own vessel when authorized by an adult leader in that Sea Scout ship.

Each additional long cruise earned is marked by a red arc above the badge, until five such cruises have been completed. Then a single white arc replaces them above the badge.

In the event that it is not possible to make a two-week cruise, a series of weekend or overnight cruises on any boat or ship may be made, provided that the total number equals 14 days. (Note: An overnight cruise lasts two days; a weekend cruise starting on Friday and ending on Sunday will be counted as three days.) There are no requirements regarding distance and number of miles.

The Long Cruise badge is an achievement, not a badge of rank; therefore, an adult leader may qualify for the badge without qualifying for Ordinary rank.

Long Cruise Badge

The Long Cruise badge may be earned by both youth and adults registered in Sea Scouts. A Sea Scout must be Ordinary rank before they can start recording cruising time for the Long Cruise badge. The Sea Scout must cruise for two weeks on any vessel or boat provided by the local council or the ship, or their own vessel when authorized by an adult leader in that Sea Scout ship. Each additional long cruise earned is marked by a red arc around the badge, until five such cruises have been completed. Then a single white arc replaces them around the badge. In the event that it is not possible to make a two-week cruise, a series of weekend or overnight cruises on any boat or ship may be made, provided that the total number equals 14 days. An adult leader may qualify for the badge without qualifying for Ordinary rank.

Overview
To recognize youth and adult members of a Sea Scout Ship who complete an on-the-water activity over a two-week period or a series of weekends or overnight cruises equal to 14 days.

4.4.1.3 Able Rank
… The Sea Scout Long Cruise badge is required for Able, as is completion of additional electives.
4.4.1.4 Quartermaster Rank (Quartermaster cruise)
… The cruise involves taking long-term command of a vessel and crew and conducting critical drills.
4.4.1.6 Other Sea Scout Awards
Other awards Sea Scouts may earn include the Small- Boat Handler bar, the Qualified Seaman bar, Sea Scout Marksmanship Awards, and the Long Cruise badge and arcs. The requirements are detailed in the Sea Scout Manual. Also available are any BSA recognitions that are not limited to Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, or Venturers. Examples that may interest Sea Scouts include BSA Lifeguard, Boardsailing BSA, Snorkeling BSA, Paddlecraft Safety, Kayaking BSA, Mile Swim BSA, and many more.

My Comment

I did not find the “single white arc” in the Guide to Awards and Insignia 2019. This also needs to be fixed.

The SUAC Sea Scouter told us this is not something immediately needed when we implemented SS on SB. It is complex cause SB is not designed to award the same award multiple times - this is why we have 23 Eagle palms.

There is a story for it - no idea when it will be worked

1 Like

I’m sure there’s plenty of features/upgrades to be done. Sure, I’d like to see this–but it’s probably more critical and have broader impact to get Den Chiefs functional with packs in some way. And that’s just an example.

1 Like

May I suggest adding the following items to the development “story”

• Long Cruise Badge
  • Long Cruise 2
  • Long Cruise 3
  • Long Cruise 4
  • Long Cruise 5
  • Long Cruise 6

That seems like it would work… Just having them in sequence like Bronze Palm #1, Gold Palm #1, etc. They could make the fifth one white (White Arc #1 right after Red Arc #4) or something.

Sure, agreed that there have to be priorities… but if we don’t mention the things that need to be done, it won’t ever wind up on the list (wherever it falls). No one disputes that other things might take precedence.

1 Like

The white arc is awarded when the fifth cruise is completed – in other words, the fifth cruise is what earns the white arc. After that, they earn four more red arcs before the tenth award, which would be the second white arc. Eleventh cruise = two white arcs plus one red arc, etc.

• Betsy
1 Like

This is key. If we keep suggesting legitimate items that must be implemented, maybe National will apply more resources to Scoutbook.

Don’t count on it. BSA IT has a limited budget and I don’t expect to see any large increases.

Ed,

I often say this at work, but it is applicable here. I do not want people to think small, to ignore flaws and loss, to ignore good ideas just because the system can’t handle it. By encouraging people to not suggest ideas that are implementations of the true scouting program just because the budget is small, will cause people to think small.

It is just like in a business that does not keep an accurate maintenance and repair back log or a camp that does not do the same.

The powers that be will NEVER increase the budget if one artificially keeps the backlog small. Should the backlog be prioritized? Absolutely. Should the backlog reflect the true program even if today we can’t see the resources becoming available? Yes. If we ever hope the true workload to be tackled, it must be recorded.

Matt,

If this were normal times, I would have faith the IT budget may be increased, however, I believe given the situation with the statue of limitations on sexual abuse lawsuits being lifted in many states, the BSA will be forced to reduce, not increase budgets. The backlog is not being kept artificially small, in fact it is still growing, mostly from suggestions users provide in the forums.

The backlog is being prioritized. The SUAC advocates for items we feel are the most important to users be moved up on the priority list. Sometimes we are successful, sometimes we are not.

1 Like

The constant struggle of the optimist, pessimist, and realist.

Thanks for listening and working hard.

I wish with the fee increase they would have “given us some honey with the vinegar”. I work at a consumer products company where we rarely would have a price increase or size reduction without an upgrade to the product. Granted the cost reduction outweighs the improvement (cost wise), but at least you get a ticker, more absorbent, faster acting, longer lasting product (or what ever). Yes, you are paying more. I wish they would have taken a few dollars of the $60 to increase the IT budget, reduce the backlog, introduce secure annual health form storage, touchless auto recharter (vs 45 days since filing and counting) merge IA2/Scoutbook/myScouting, free online leader guides, free MB pamphlets, buy plackpug, etc. But, alas, your view does seem to be more of the realist perspective.

Please stop turning technical discussions into discussions about the financial status of BSA. This discussion is about understanding long cruise awards and suggestions for how to track long cruises and award arcs.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.