Merging Two Scoutbook Accounts - NOT BSA Accounts

Jennifer,
Any insight as to what this error means and how long to fix it? The rest of Scoutbook seems to work without an issue.

@MichaelAcosta It is a bug. I have reported it to the developers.

I am getting this same error message when I try to uncheck & position approved.

@ANDYSCHOENHERR Are you getting a Whoops! error message when you try to update a Scout’s Membership when the Scout does not have a BSA member number?

That is correct - I am getting the Whoops message when I uncheck & recheck the “position approved” box. This particular Scout does not have a member ID in Scoutbook - when I try to add it I get an error message stating that the ID# already exists under another User in Scoutbook.

@ANDYSCHOENHERR Are you able to use the “Transfer In Scout” button on the Pack Roster page (or Troop Roster page - not sure which unit type you are associated with)?

I get an error message that the Scout is not found when I use the Transfer Tool. I got a response from Don McNeil (you guys ROCK, BTW) that the issue might be because the names were different on the old Member ID vs the new (full name vs nickname), which could be causing Sync issues. I am asking our Registrar to change the name on the current record to hopefully fix the problem.

The most recent merge we did ended up canceling our new scout’s old account. We are trying to piece together three years of his scouting career including earning First class and many MB’s. His old unit was LDS, doesn’t exist anymore, and now we are at the mercy of the council to see if they have a record separate from Scoutbook.

Anytime we get a new scout, I (advancement chair) immediately ask them to save a copy of their IRR before the transfer goes through, and for all scouts transferring out of our unit, I have them save a copy of their IRR at their last meeting so they have it after their move.

@ElizabethJohnston I have sent you a private message.

Hi, This has happened twice for my Troop. First, the Scout had two persons and one BSA ID#. I called Council and this one was handled by them. The other the scout had two BSA ID#'s. That one I had to go to ScoutBook directly and have them merge both under one number. You may have to pick which number for them to use. This is all done via E-mail. Have you Troop ScoutBook person do this. They are amazing at ScoutBook and can usually handle in a few days. YIS

Scoutbook will no longer merge accounts as of sept 1, 2020. I too used to handle it this way. We are now told to contact local council. But our local council didn’t know how to handle it. We have had to input EVERYTHING manually. It is ridiculous.

Thank You,

Mark Zorick
(805) 207-3383

Donovan, It looks like Scoubook is no longer giving me the error message. I’ve tried “unapproving” saving, and then “approving” it…and I still get the error. Any idea?

Jennifer, It looks like the “whoops” error is fixed. Can you contact me regarding getting my AOL Scout fixed? Thanks.

Michael

we will send you a direct message - look at top right avatar to find it

I’ve been able to fix this in the my.scouting website. Have the scout/parent create an account on that site. In the drop down menu on the top left of the page is “manage member ID”. If you have both numbers, you can add the second one here.

This just happened to a Life scout transferring to our troop. I contacted my council ‘per scoutbook’s automatic help message’, and she had to contact National. I was told that it cant be merged. Our council requested his Person Profile from previous council, and she is manually adding his scout advancements to his new member id (which is how we had to do it prior to scoutbook). I had his mom save everything in his old account, just in case, because council had said that he would be removed from his previous council’s data. This has not happened though.

Accounts can be merged. Although, that’s a little bit of a misnomer. It’s more like changing the info on one to match the info on the other. Advancement cannot be merged. So, that would require identifying which account has the most correct advancement data to keep.

This leads to my general rule of thumb to export whatever data you can for scouts who need to have accounts “merged” since something always seems to get dropped. Usually I start with the individual advancement report for each account, and sometimes do a full advancement database dump, just so i have all of the dates for the subrequirements in case it becomes relevant. It doesn’t give you any photos/comments that are attached AFAIK, but it’s the closest I can do on the unit-level. It’s also a pain if you have a bunch of scouts PCSing at all times of the year…

This is even more true for scouts who have been in more than two councils. Often, earlier data wasn’t merged over (e.g. pack to troop level) because it wasn’t “relevant” to the current advancement pathway, the new unit omitted that hte scouts was a transfer, or the ball was otherwise dropped. So, the scouts had one (or more) records with cub advancement in it and one (or more) records with Scouts BSA advancement in them.

We have personally had my sons accounts merged. EVERYTHING. scoutbook support did it. I have emails i can show you to prove it can be done.

Mandi Jones