Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Merit Badge Counselor Application

Just curious, but does anyone know how long it takes Merit Badge Counselor Applications to go through and be approved?

I turned in an application with my son’s troop leadership to be sent in to the district in November, and I just don’t know how or when I might hear that I’ve been approved. (I understand with the holidays and recharter, this probably isn’t the fastest time of year - so I’m not complaining, just curious).

I am a high school teacher, and there are a number of scouts in my son’s troop that also attend my school/live in my neighborhood that are looking for counselors for badges that I’m qualified to help with - and that there are no other counselors in district for - and the kids are getting antsy.

Will I get a letter in the mail? An email? Will my status as a merit badge counselor just magically show up on my Scoutbook profile?

Each council is different in how it deals with Merit Badge Counselors. I suggest contacting your district advancement chair and asking.

2 Likes

If you can’t find your district advancement chair (volunteer), give the district executive (professional) a call.

Thanks for the advice. I called the district office and asked about my application. They had not seen it, but assumed it was still within the pile of paperwork being processed for recharters.

I was headed to our local scout shop this weekend anyway - for a pinewood derby building event - so they suggested I reprint my application and turn it in at the shop to speed up the process and allow me to help the students in my school sooner.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.