Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Merit Badge Counselor Approved Activity Incorrectly

We discovered that a Scout who completed a merit badge over the summer at a Scouting Summer Camp got a requirement marked completed and approved by a Merit Badge counselor when the requirement for the activity was not actually satisfied (camping nights). I am inclined to not approve the Merit Badge. However just wanted to see what others think.

Ahmed,

Are you a new MBC for the Scout or another leader? The Guide to Advancement section 7.0.4.7 Limited Recourse for Unearned Merit Badges describes the process that must be followed if a leader believes a Scout did not actually earn the Merit Badge for which the Scout possesses a Blue Card signed by a Merit Badge Counselor.

3 Likes

And here is a link to the online version of the Guide to Advancement that Ed referenced:

https://www.scouting.org/resources/guide-to-advancement/the-merit-badge-program/#7047

Right after posting this question i was actually going through the guide to look for this section since I remembered reading it earlier. Thanks for the reference. Saved me a 54 page scroll :slight_smile:

Thank you for the assistance.

I hope your scout is understanding about this.
A similar thing almost happened at summer camp, then I reviewed the scout’s activity log carefully and realized that after removing cabin camps, he did not complete the required camping nights. I returned the blue card to the council and requested a partial (which also meant some computer work on their part). They graciously obliged.

He absolutely is. He’s a good kid. Also he has a lot of time to finish up things. We have other scouts who are in a bind because they weren’t able to do any camping since CoVID shutdown.

It breaks my heart every time I hear of kids not camping. :cry:

Virtual camping is allowed. Not as fun as camping as a group, but if it’s your only option…

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.