Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
âś•
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Merit Badge Sash

What does a Scout do when the front of the merit badge sash is filled up and the back has their temporary/other patches on it and they are still earning merit badges.

The Scout in my troop that earned every MB sewed another sash (or part of one) onto the original, making it longer. He did this in such a way that it was not noticeable unless you looked very closely.

1 Like

You could transfer the temporary patches to another medium (say a brag quilt or something similar) that would be appropriate to display at the Scout’s Eagle COH.

2 Likes

He’s already had his Eagle COH. He is only 15 and so he is continuing in the Troop and earning more merit badges. His goal is a minimum of three silver palms.

1 Like

Any chance you could send me a picture of what he did?

I asked the Scout’s mom if she could get me a picture. The Scout is away at college. I don’t know if he has his sash with him or if it is at his home.

1 Like

There is no official solution to this problem. Technically sashes aren’t supposed to be doubled up. For now the scout should remove some of his temporary insignia from the back of his sash to make room for the new MBs.
However, it is possible to earn even more MBs than will fit on one sash (neatly). I recall some pictures of scouts who’ve earned every MB online. If I find their unofficial solutions, I’ll post some links.
My suggestions (also unofficial):

• low-tech: have a vest or jacket for the overflow of MBs and favorite temporary insignia.
  • high-tech: get one of those mini hand-held screen devices and sew it to the sash. Create a long image of all excess badges & patches and lock it on the screen as a scrolling image. Charge before any court of honor.
  • crazy-tech: rig extra sash fabric around flat blocks with patches on both sides in a sort of “Jacob’s Ladder” that will flip through multiple patches.

Scouting is 50% rules and regulations and 50% resourcefulness and improvisation.

2 Likes

My son finished his third silver palm while still in Scouts BSA and we just added part of another sash to lengthen the whole thing. If he had been going for all the merit badges, that solution wouldn’t work, though.

1 Like

We had a local Scout who made Eagle with over 70 merit badges, and his family got a second sash and “layered” it behind the first, so there was a fourth row for merit badges. The photo is what caught my attention and it looked pretty nice, but I wondered if it was “approved”, but I do feel that they should be able to display all the merit badges they’ve earned as part of their scouting journey.

1 Like

My son is going for three silver palms. He is currently at 2 silver so he has 15 more merit badges to go.

Take the temporary stuff off the back of the dash to make room for merit badges.

I’ve seen scouts just sew the merit badges on an additional sash, I believe you are only suppose to wear one sash, but i’ve seen pictures of scouts wearing two, usually at an eagle BOR.

1 Like

From the 2019 Guide to Insignia, page 35

"Scouts may wear only one merit badge sash
at a time. A merit badge sash is never worn on
the belt. "

1 Like

Yep, 'cause none of us EVER see a merit badge tucked into a Scout’s belt… :roll_eyes:

we do see it, we shouldn’t. Quite honestly, that one is a pet peeve of mine and drives me nuts

2 Likes

It drives me nuts to see an OA sash tucked into a belt.

3 Likes

Or an OA sash on someone during a non-OA function

6 Likes

This gets fuzzy, though, depending on what role you’re filling at the event. When our arrowmen are providing service at camporee, for example, they wear their sashes to be readily visible as someone who can assist, or is performing service duties. That’s consistent with the directives from Nationals, for example here:

1 Like

Charley,

Agreed, but a regular Court of Honor without any OA business, is not such a time.

2 Likes

OA Sash also depends on the OA health of the unit. When I became SM I encouraged Sash to be won at many events by the 2-3 arrowmen I had to make others more aware of it and strive for it

1 Like