Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Merit badge university

Does anyone know the contact for merit badge university? I received an email about it but can’t seem to find it now.

@JesseMellor - would you happen to know the district/council for this ? This is a national forum so that will get us closer.

Sorry, it’s Laurel Highlands Council

https://lhcscouting.org @JesseMellor to find the one you want - there are a few on the calendar

Hey fellow LHC-er! There are several opportunities. They should all be on the website.
One that has been really popular was the focused MB days at camp Guyasuta.

Word of advice about these: nothing will make a young scout angrier than if you send him/her to a bookwork MB class like Citizenship or Personal Management. Let your Star or Life scouts take joy on those.

1 Like

That’s really good advice, @Qwazse. We’ve found over time that the best things for the newest Scouts are the most hands-on things. Even at summer camp, we encourage the youngest Scouts to do things like Swimming, Climbing, Rowing, etc. first – let them get a good taste of adventure and accomplishment before tackling the more book-heavy merit badges.

And, the look of horror on moms’ faces when their “little pumpkins” tell them they got to rappel down a 30-foot wall is SO worth it…

1 Like

I respectfully disagree. While I think Personal Management is best served with older scouts, it certainly can be done younger.

My sons both LOVED the Citizenship in the Community MB, especially when they went to a School Board meeting. The first did it with a group and the School Board recognized them as part of the meeting.

Merit Badges are like Base Assignments in the military: they are what you make of them.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.