BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Multiple cubmaster

My question is whether there is a rule against having more than one cubmaster at one time.

Background: I’ve been the PCC and assistant cubmaster for over 3 years now. Many times I have filled in for the cubmaster, I’ve probably done the equivalent of 1 year as the CM so far. The CM just left and named a friend as CM instead of me. I’m aware that he can’t do that, but I consider both friends and I don’t want to rock that boat. TBH, I’ve been doing the job 1/3 of the time, and it sounds like I’ll do it even more now, so the title really doesn’t matter… Except for the cubmaster’s key award. It’s upsetting to me that I now won’t earn that award. The new CM is about to have a baby and he had a lion, so he will Outlast me. And I know he’ll do a good job. But if like to list us both for 2 years and then apply for the knot.

So I’m not asking whether this SHOULD be done, I’m not trying to make a precedent and I’m happy to go back to assistant when those 2 years are up. But I want to know if there is any rule against this. Our council probably won’t check, o could apply for the award today, I’m not worried about that either. I just don’t want to be breaking any rules officially if I do this.

I got the idea from talking to a leader from a pack in Texas that had like 500 scouts. He told me they have a CM for every 100 scouts, and an assistant for every 25 scouts. So if they can do it, can I?

I googled for 20 minutes before posting, apparently no one has ever asked this before! Now that’s rare!!

Thank you!

@BrendanMcCarthy1 - here is the deal. There is in every scouting unit what is known as the key 3. They are the Committee Chair, Charter organization Rep and the Unit Leader. The unit leader is the CubMaster, Scoutmaster, Crew advisor and Skipper. There are never multiple Unit leaders, but there may be multiple assistants. So this unit of 500, in my mind seems to be outlandish and a bit over the top and not exactly in line with standard unit practice.

Only one unit leader allowed per unit

I suspect one unit leader (e.g. Cubmaster) is enforced by the Online Registration System for new members to the unit, and by the BSA membership system used by council registrars. Here are the instructions followed by council registrars. The Cubmaster is the “CM” and the Assistant Cubmaster is the “CA”. If there are 2 CMs registered in a unit I suspect it will cause problems with accessing my.Scouting Tools.

Per Registration Guidebook, 100-092, ©2019 Boy Scouts of America, July 2019

Unit Position Requirements

Packs, troops, crews, and ships are required to have an institution head, a chartered organization representative, a committee chair, two committee members (or one committee member and one new member coordinator or pack trainer for packs), and a unit leader. All of these positions must be filled by individuals who are at least 21 years old. Packs are also required to have at least one den leader who may be a den leader for any of the Cub Scout ranks (Lion, Tiger, Wolf, Bear, or Webelos Scout).

Cub Scouting Program Requirement - Unit Requirements

• Minimum leadership positions—CR, CC, CM, 2 MCs*, an LL, TL, DL, or WL**, and an LP or AP for each Lion or Tiger
  • Can have—CA, DA, WA, NM, PT, REU, 91U, 92U
  • Minimum youth members needed—Five paid***
  • Term—Minimum six months, maximum 18 months

*** Units may register with as few as two paid youth members with the permission of the Scout executive.

Unit Size