Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

My.scouting now a full service application system

Yep this is a HUGE problem that we have run into. If the scout isn’t connected to a parent in the My.Scouting system (NOT scoutbook), they cannot be transferred using this new system :sob: There used to be a way for you to connect to your scout in the system. I remember connecting to my son years back, but I was working with my wife’s account in My.Scouting this morning and I could not find a way to connect her to our son.

The BSA IT folks need to solve this ASAP or it is going to cause a lot of confusion when Webelos start trying to transfer to troops in a couple months.

1 Like

Hmm.
I was able to connect 2 parents to the account easily and it did a sync with myscouting as well. I do remember having the button be very hard to find though. Hope it works for you!

Scoutbook doesn’t “sync back” to my.scouting.

All of my Scouts had their parents entered (all started as Webelos or Scouts). Maybe it is your council?

With online applications (going forward), the parent has to create an account.

We are merging two packs. The adult leaders are having trouble doing the transfer applications online. They say it’s not working and they cannot input their information.

“At the step where I have to enter my information, the name and DOB fields are grayed out, and it won’t let me advance.”

Any tips?

We have a lot of things happening in this thread.

I am posting a newly released FAQ with this post. Specific to transferring youth:

What are reasons I cannot transfer a youth?
Only youth in our database with a “parent relationship” can be transferred so a notification can be made. This relationship can be corrected in ScoutNet, contact your scout office to have them make this connection.
Youth that are too young to join a unit will not be able to transfer (such as a Cub Scout joining a Venture Crew).Transfer and Multiples for My.Scouting Job Aid 11 18 2020.pdf (604.5 KB)

1 Like

The FAQ helps a lot.

I went to see if my Scouts had parent connections in my.scouting (I’m the Scoutmaster). I was surprised that I could not see who their parents were. I never looked before, but this seems like something that should be added as a report or an extension of a report. It would allow units to “self check” the parent to Scout relationship. Am I missing where I can see this? I know I see it in Scoutbook, but I assume that isn’t “official”.

1 Like

It doesn’t seem to exist in my.scouting.org – I pulled up a youth’s profile, and it doesn’t have any reference to parents/guardians at all.

It seems important. Especially for units that don’t use Scoutbook. Who is mom and dad or guardian?

No argument from me.

Ugh, more work for our busy council registrars to go and link scouts and parents in my.scouting. This needs to be a self service thing that a parent can do when they log into their own My.Scouting account. I know this capability used to exist, since I did it for my own son.

The thing that stinks is we can’t have them be surgeons, we are having them be generalists. If could all check before we have to transfer everyone that a parent is there and connected, we would only have to pass on the ones that are missing BEFORE it is needed.

It is surprising that this isn’t part of recharter. I would even say that it would be a wise requirement, like the other recharter checks, to require each scout to have a “parent on record”. Seems almost even like a youth protection type thing even. Say there was something where council or others needed to get ahold of a parent. There are youth in the system with no parent on record. Again, doesn’t seem right. I know recharter is hard enough.

2 Likes

So then, why does the youth application collect parent information if nothing’s gonna be done with it?

It probably does now, but way back when my son joined, I guess that link didn’t happen because I had to link him. It also doesn’t help for a second parent that isn’t on the youth application. This should be something a parent could do in their own My.Scouting profile.

I have not seen a definition of which unit leader is allowed to do transfers. Are there any restrictions?

• Only THE unit leader (Cubmaster, Scoutmaster, Advisor, Skipper)
  • Any Key 3 (COR, THE unit leader, Committee Chair)
  • Any registered leader (including Assistants, various DL’s, MC, and USR)

Definitely not the last line “Any Registered Leader”. I am an Assistant Scoutmaster and I don’t even see the Member Manager for my troop.

In order to see the Member Manager, you need to be one of the unit’s Key 3 or a Key 3 Delegate. I believe it’s also available to Chartered Org. Rep. Delegate and Executive Officer.

Does the Member Inquiry role no longer get access to Member Manager?

As a Pack Trainer for four years, I have had unlimited access to Member Manager and Training Manager. This seems to have gone away.

My access was never interrupted by the recharter process, so I believe this was a privilege of my registered position.

I can still see Member Manager, it just won’t load.

1 Like

That sounds like a bug, because the Pack Trainer does not typically have a need to access the Member Manager – just the Training Manager. If they do, the unit can add them as a Key 3 Delegate.

There is also a New Member Coordinator registered position, which should give automatic access to the Member Manager.