My.scouting Training Manager

The limit to only one position in the training manager is disappointing to say the least…

I think everyone can agree that all leadership should be trained for the positions they hold to better deliver a “JTE level” of leadership to the scouts.

Realistically, Pack administration must deal with the fact that every single position needed to run a pack cannot be filled by just one person and multiple hats must be worn.

The goal in this case should be providing an administrative tool that covers this situation, as it is the case with most if not all packs.

The “trained leaders” report in Scoutbook used to provide this. We could add leaders dynamically and we could see where those wearing multiple hats stood in regard to the different requirements for those positions.

It is odd that we are making a more JTE experience by removing the ability to at least monitor the “multiple hat” situation. I now have NO way of monitoring this, except going back to asking each leader to send me their training reports. A huge step backwards in my mind. Scoutbook once did this quite easily. This is a real need that is now lost.

The result of this is now a training chair running in the blind, rather than shepherding those with 3-4 hats to get the necessary training and seeing it at the click of a button.

Not to be sore, but this is a setback in my opinion unless there are changes on the horizon…

5 Likes

You do not need to ask each leader to send you their training reports. If you have access to the Training Manager at my.scouting.org, click on Search Training (icon looks like a magnifying glass), select the name(s) of the adult(s), then click on Print Member Training Report (icon looks like a piece of paper). This report will display all of their completed training.

1 Like

I apologize if this is a dumb question, but are there any plans to fix the training sync with Scoutbook? If so, is there an estimated timeline?

1 Like

Let’s hope so!!!

Standing by for the answer we all know needs to be passed…:flushed:

1 Like

The training report in scoutbook will not be updated but rather the link to the report on my.scouting.org will be presented. This was outlined in the March Blig post and has been stated many times.

1 Like

2 posts were split to a new topic: How do I record Pamphlet Exercises?

So here’s another issue - we have a crew going to SeaBase where the adults all have to take Safety Afloat, Safe Swim, and Hazardous Weather. It used to be easy - you make sure your training was synced in Scoutbook and you have your printable proof. Now, I just went through that insane process someone above outlined on how you have to go through four layers of digging to find a report that had I not gotten instructions above, I’d NEVER have found. That, my friends, is a crazy step backwards. The whole point of Scoutbook was to avoid this sort of non-intuitive insanity of having to navigate the unnavigatable MyScouting System. And yet, now we’re back to that. I don’t have time to waste trying to navigate a system that clearly is light years behind Scoutbook. BSA, why are you torturing your volunteers this way??? We thought you cared about us…

2 Likes

If you have people going to Seabase, I recommend the leaders print and carry the actual training certificates from my.scouting.org, not unofficial reports from Scoutbook or any other system.

2 Likes

Good advice for any trip outside of your Council.

1 Like

2 systems, with 2 webpages, with two totally different look and feel is a big step backwards. So, the system in Scoutbook was hard to maintain. Ok, make it better. Punting and having it in the horrible look and feel of my.scouting is a poor step backward to the “single source of info” that Scoutbook provides.

1 Like

The Training Validation Legacy Tool on my.scouting appears to be down again. I need it to check the progress of one of my den leaders. She doesn’t show up on Training Manager, because her leader application hasn’t been turned in to the council yet.

Over all, Training Manager is weak. I had no idea how to get details from it until this post started. All I saw were pie charts and a list with two numbers. The design is not intuitive. If the Training Validation legacy tool is going to be put out to pasture, the ability to search by BSA member number or username needs to be added to Training Manager.

1 Like

The Training Validation tool is currently working for me. Sometimes it won’t show if the person has a duplicate account.

2 Likes

Peter, try logging out of My.Scouting, then log in again.

If you use SSO to get into My.Scouting, then the Legacy Tool Training Validation does not work.

2 Likes

Jennifer,

I just logged in to the Training Validation tool, and it worked fine.

I’m not sure what you mean by a duplicate account. I have at least three different BSA member IDs. Those are the ones I know. Who knows how many I really have.

It is very strange. One ID shows that I completed Scoutmastership Fundamentals on 10/22/2000, even though the correct date is 7/6/2001. The October 2000 date was the completion of the indoor sessions only. The other ID shows that I completed New Leader Essentials on 11/20/2001. While I did staff the course that day, the first time I completed it was 10/6/2001 (also as a presenter), which was the first time my district offered what was then a newly rolled out course.

The posting of portions of my training record to the two different IDs continued for years. Safe Swim Defense appears on the second ID in August 2008, and Weather Hazards training appears on the first ID in January 2009. The first ID shows I completed Wood Badge on 11/15/2003, but the date on my certificate is 10/27/2003. The first ID also shows an entry for Wood Badge on 10/20/2002, which was the second weekend of the practical phase. The second ID has an entry for Wood Badge on 9/9/2002, which was the first weekend of the practical phase.

After moving overseas and not being registered for a few years, I created an account late last year to complete YPT, so I could register again. I was assigned another new member ID number.

I went through many of my cards and certificates, and many don’t appear under either of my old IDs. The range is far and wide: Pack Committee Member Leader Specific Training on 11/17/2001, Trainer Development Conference on 3/6/2005, Boy Scout Roundtable Commissioner Training on 5/26/2005, and Trainer’s EDGE on 3/14/2009, to name just a few. This leads me to wonder whether I have a third old member number somewhere out there.

I have a spreadsheet with all the training I can find from one source or another with notations of what ID number it was recorded under or that it does not appear to have been recorded anywhere. Is there a way to fix this?

Peter

2 Likes

Doug,

That was my problem. I used SSO from Scoutbook to get there.

Thanks.

Peter

1 Like

Hi Peter,

Something you can do is use the Legacy Web Tools → Manage Member ID and link your other BSA ID #s there. Be sure you make your current BSA ID # “primary”.

Another option: someone else in your unit who has access to the Training Manager at my.scouting.org can add some of your training (you cannot add your own training). You would just need to show them your certificates. Unit Key 3 (Cubmaster, Pack Committee Chair, Chartered Org. Rep.) have access to the Training Manager. Unit Key 3 can also use the Organization Security Manager to add up to three Key 3 Delegates and a Unit Training Chair, who would also have access to the Training Manager.

1 Like

I just recently moved to my third council, so I now have 3 BSA ID numbers. I have them all linked under Legacy Web Tools-> Manage Member ID. When I toggle back and forth between which one is primary, I get different training logs. My first number has most of my trainings, the second one has nothing, and the third just has YPT. Is there a way for all my trainings to show for each ID number? What does linking the numbers do if it doesn’t transfer the information?

1 Like

Jennifer,

I tried the Manage Member ID tool with both old BSA member IDs. Each time, I got the same message: “The selected council does not match the member ID. Please verify the Council Name and Member ID.” So, I suppose the tool doesn’t work. I was with the same council the entire time those two IDs were in use. When they are entered into the Training Validation tool, my name comes up. The training listed on them almost matches things for whoch I have cards. The dates are different in some instances. So, I know they are both my IDs.

While those IDs were being used, I was registered in Manhattan Council #643, part of Greater New York Councils #640. Manhattan Council is not a choice on the drop-down list, and selecting GNYC produces the error.

I’ll see if I can get someone to add the training to my current ID, so it is all in one place.

Thanks for your help.

Peter

1 Like

You need to leave the member ID as primary for at least 24 hours for your training to sync with it.

2 Likes

So are there any plans to update this inane process of locating leader training. I shouldnt have to download and “PRINT” a PDF file to review missing training. Honestly why did national purchase scoutbook if they were just going to destroy its usefulness. Even though I started this thread I have to come back again to figure out how to get to the useful report under the search option or some such silly thing. It should be on the “Trained Leader Report”, But when you read that all it has is lots of numbers that dont mean anything useful and sometime cant even be found in the training tool. Trained leaders show with lots of incomplete classes and other show as YPT incomplete while other areas confirm they are good with the YPT. Since you are not going to use the previously extremely useful scoutbook training sync can you at least make the my.scouting “Tools” somewhat user friendly?

1 Like