National Outdoor Award Riding bug? misinterpretation? or is this the correct way to record?

I’m sorry if this is noted somewhere already, I did search for it.

It seems like the Scoutbook coding for National Outdoor Award (Riding) does not line up with the conclusions drawn in this discussion thread:

https://discussions.scouting.org/t/national-outdoor-riding-award/125461

I have a Scout who received the Horsemanship Merit Badge and it marked her as completing the Riding Segment of the Award since everything else was completed in the requirements. She has already done 200 miles of cycling in pursuit of this award and the cycling merit badge, but has not completed the bookwork part of the cycling merit badge.

We had been under the assumption that she needed to complete the badge miles + 100 miles. She is 20 miles short of that, though, like I mentioned, she has completed the 200 miles in the final requirement.

It seems that Scoutbook is only adding milage to the venturing option not to the merit badge option in requirement 2.

Is this based on an accurate interpretation that we can confirm, or is it a mistake in the interpretation?

Thanks!

SB does not look at logs at all for those awards - it is left up to the user to enter them

Agreed!

However, Scoutbook is auto-completing the award without the option of needing approval for the “and 100 miles” or “and 20 miles” if the scout completes a merit badge.

what is scouts BSA# @AngelaKoch

136291349 is the BSA #

I kind of see it in our tool but does not make total sense - I will make a temp connection to the scout to see it there if that is ok @AngelaKoch

1 Like

go for it - she’s my daughter

OK here is what I do not understand - it is 200 miles total - period. you marked the 200 miles off in SB. so why are you confused?

If you look in the discussion thread, you’ll see that the requirement reads:

“cycling merit badge or ranger cycling/mountain biking elective and 100 miles of cycling”

that requirement is 150 miles from the merit badge + 100 miles of cycling for 250 miles total

She has biked over 200 miles, but not over 250 miles

there is no place to record the + 100 miles

for the horsemanship option it reads

Horsemanship merit badge or Ranger Equestrian elective and 20 miles of horseback riding

Scoutbook has a place to require the and 100 or and 20 miles as part of choosing the ranger option

Scoutbook makes the leap that if you do the Merit Badge option instead, the “and 100” or “and 20” miles are not required.

The requirement is clear “Complete 200 miles of riding activities, including cycling, stock riding, skating, motor boating, mountain boarding, snowmobiling, (including ATV or PWC riding at an approved council program), under the auspices of the Boy Scouts of America, including the miles in requirement 2.” - it says including #2, not excluding those miles. It is a 200 mile total. And that is what one of that committee eventually told me when back from Jambo in 2019

I think that the confusion comes from the phrasing of 2(a) here: National Outdoor Awards Program | Boy Scouts of America

Riding. A Scout, Sea Scout, or Venturer may earn the National Outdoor Badge for Riding upon successfully completing the following requirements:

1. Earn the First Class rank, Sea Scout Apprentice rank, or complete Venturing Ranger Award requirements 1-6.

2. Complete the requirements for at least one of the following:
    (a) Cycling merit badge or Ranger Cycling/Mountain Biking elective and 100 miles of cycling
    (b) Horsemanship merit badge or Ranger Equestrian elective and 20 miles of horseback riding
    (c) Motorboating merit badge or Ranger Watercraft elective and 100 miles of motor boating
    (d) Skating merit badge or Ranger Winter Sports elective and 20 miles of skating

3. Complete 200 miles of riding activities, including cycling, stock riding, skating, motor boating, mountain boarding, (including ATV or PWC riding at an approved council program), under the auspices of the Boy Scouts of America, including the miles in requirement 2.

It seems to me that the intent was a total of 200 miles of “riding activities”, but it sure is confusing based on the phrasing of 2(a) through 2(d).

I think that the “and ## miles of activity” only applies to the Ranger elective portion, not to the MB portions.

1 Like

Sounds great! Like I said I was trying to understand the correct interpretation. The earlier thread was indicating that the extra miles in the earlier requirement mattered. It becomes an issue because the road cycling option totals more than the 200 miles with that other interpretation.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.