Be a Scout in Scouts BSA, Venturing BSA or Sea Scouts BSA. Youth earning the National Outdoor Awards badges have demonstrated that they are knowledgeable, safe, and comfortable in the outdoor activity covered by the badge.
Riding. A Scout, Sea Scout, or Venturer may earn the National Outdoor Badge for Riding upon successfully completing the following requirements:
- Earn the First Class rank, Sea Scout Apprentice rank, or complete Venturing Ranger Award requirements 1-6.
- Complete the requirements for at least one of the following:
- a. Cycling merit badge or Ranger Cycling/Mountain Biking elective and 100 miles of cycling
- b. Horsemanship merit badge or Ranger Equestrian elective and 20 miles of horseback riding
- c. Motorboating merit badge or Ranger Watercraft elective and 100 miles of motor boating
- d. Skating merit badge or Ranger Winter Sports elective and 20 miles of skating
- Complete 200 miles of riding activities, including cycling, stock riding, skating, motor boating, mountain boarding, snowmobiling, (including ATV or PWC riding at an approved council program), under the auspices of the Boy Scouts of America, including the miles in requirement 2.
A gold device may be earned for each additional 100 miles of riding set forth in requirement 3. A silver device is earned for each additional 400 miles of riding. The youth may wear any combination of devices totaling his or her current number of miles of riding.
Previous Requirements (2010)
- Earn the First Class rank.
- Complete at least one of the following:
Cycling merit badge and 100 miles of cycling; or Horsemanship merit badge and 50 miles of horseback riding.
- Complete 200 miles of riding activities, either on a non-motorized bike or a stock animal, under the auspices of the Boy Scouts of America, including the miles in requirement 2.
A gold device may be earned for each additional 100 miles of riding. A silver device is earned for each additional 400 miles of riding. The Scout may wear any combination of devices totaling his current number of miles of riding.
- National Outdoor Awards Program
- With its new National Outdoor Awards, the BSA honors guys who can’t stand still, August 23rd, 2010, Scouting magazine - Previous 2010 requirements
- AwardsCentral - not listed (2019-07-30)
- Merit Badges
- Award emblem and devices at Scout Shop
- Automatic tabulation of NOA (National Outdoor Award), 2019
- How (to) “affirm” a scouts nights, hours, or miles for National Outdoor Awards, 2019
- National Outdoor Achievement Awards - Does time as a Cub Scout count toward these awards or only activities as Boy Scouts?
- NOA gold and silver devices 2016-2019 - Anyone know when the NOA gold and silver devices will be added to scoutbook?
- Question on National Outdoor Awards, Scouting magazine, Boy Scouts (Scouts BSA) forum, 2017-2019 - No riding award questions as of 2019-07-30
- Interpreting ‘under the auspices’ in National Outdoor Awards requirements, March 13, 2014, by Bryan Wendell, Scouting magazine
- Earn the National Outdoor Badges, from the January-February 2011 issue of Scouting magazine - No discussion of riding award.