National Preparedness Month, is recognized each September to promote family and community disaster and emergency planning now and throughout the year. The 2019 theme is " Prepared, Not Scared ."
2019 weekly themes:
- Week 1: Sept 1-7 Save Early for Disaster Costs
- Week 2: Sept 8-14 Make a Plan to Prepare for Disasters
- Week 3: Sept 15-21 Teach Youth to Prepare for Disasters
- Week 4: Sept 22-30 Get Involved in Your Community’s Preparedness
What you should know about Youth Preparedness
- Ensure children are included in preparedness conversations
- Learn the building blocks of preparedness − Be Informed, Make a Plan, Build a Kit and Get Involved.
- Know the emergency plan for your child’s school and child care facility
- Practice evacuation plans and other emergency procedures with children on a regular basis
- Learn different ways to help children cope during and after an emergency
- Make sure children have emergency contacts memorized or written down in a secure place
- Teach kids when and how to call important phone numbers like 911