BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

New fees for 2020 - Membership Fees

According to circle 10 council, and in line with the date they said they would announce, national dues will now be $60 per Scout!

That’s a really tough pill to swallow with just 1.5 months to go before recharter. Has anyone else seen or heard information that differs from this?

7 Likes

10 did put that out - but I will await the official announcement

1 Like

The date was always listed as today. My DE had not heard anything yet, but did say they were expecting the news this morning. This is a really hard number to stomach. I don’t have a large pack but this adds 600 to our recharter fees. I can’t imagine what it does to some of the others that are extremely large

1 Like

Please do not speculate on the changes. No official announcement has been made. Once the announcement has been made, we will permit discussion on the change.

1 Like

This was a release from a council. I am not speculating on anything. If you get something released on a councils website, how is that speculating? If they jumped the gun and posted without being told to do so that’s one thing, but this is not speculation when it comes from a BSA council website.

6 Likes

And national council just continued the pricing structure as correct. Member services was called and the number was 9725802489 if you would like to confirm it yourself.

2 Likes

It very well may prove to be correct, but many councils have said many things about this, including providing their members with ranges, all of which can’t be true. I’m waiting for the National announcement.

2 Likes

Call national. They will confirm it on the phone right now. I just did 15 minutes ago

3 Likes

Please, this is really next to nothing… we pay $200 for two months of peewee baseball, sometimes pay more than that for a one or two day summer program.

Sixty bucks for the year? That’s only five bucks a month. $1.25 a meeting, doesn’t even cover the cost of renting the room.

Best value in town.

4 Likes

The price isn’t anything at all, you are right. It’s the timing of the release when everyone has already set budgets and started prepping for Recharter, to go back and ask for an additional $25 per Scout is difficult, especially when a lot of families have to budget out Scouting fees.

4 Likes

Does anyone really have a say when the cost of things increase ? I doubt my insurance company is going to ask my permission or consult with me about increasing my rates, nor are grocery stores going to do the same when prices change. Change happens and we can either accept it or move on.

2 Likes

No one from the BSA reads these forums. If you want to complain about the timing of the change, you need to provide your feedback directly to the BSA National Council or your local council.

1 Like

Has anyone heard if the cost of Boys Life is going up too?

1 Like

The official increase has been communicated down from Nationals to Councils to the Unit Key 3. It is $60 per scout for 2020. This is a 82% dues increase over last year and will cost my Pack over $1000 in expenses that were not budgeted for this year.

I find it appalling that Nationals would do this across the board with very little advance communication. This action is continued evidence of poor leadership at the national level.

8 Likes

I can’t believe they did this large of an increase with this poor timing. I get that costs go up and things need to adjust from time to time…but

1. Most packs have already collected registration dues based on what we knew before this was even announced.

2. Popcorn is done so any chance of pushing additional fundraising there is gone.

If they had announced earlier over the summer or made it for next year that is different, but this is going to be tough. We’re a small pack, this pretty much wipes out what our pack made on popcorn and then some more.

7 Likes

If Boys Life goes up too we’ll tell all the parents to cancel it. After this increase, any savings is good.

4 Likes

http://www.samhoustonbsa.org/national-bsa-membership-fee-increase-2019-10-23

Here is the official communication from my council. It’s going to be over $600 for my pack and that is ok. We will prevail and we will continue to be a good example to our scouts. In the long run this is better for the organization and will allow us to continue in scouting for years and years to come. The timing is bad but as we teach the scouts, be prepared. We are adults and can make the best decisions possible for our units. Do not react to this negatively, as it can lead to a bad experience for your scouts.

3 Likes

Don’t panic.

Parents pay way more than this for baseball, martial arts, kids wrestling… one parent I spoke to pays $50/month for dance classes, another doctor I talked to spends $25,000 on equipment and travel because his kid is in hockey.

No one likes a dues increase. I get that. And it burns me that a third grade kid in your hometown has to pay that dues increase because an adult criminal put on a scout uniform and broke the law in the 1950s. But that’s where were are. if anyone has a better solution, I’m all ears. Until then, let’s lead through this instead of leading against it.

5 Likes

Our council went from $33 to $99 for youth and $75 for adults.

That’s a 200% increase for our youth.

This increase should have been done over the past decade. To do it all at once and weeks before recharter is irresponsible. The culture of secrecy within the BSA needs to go.

5 Likes

The official announcement and FAQ can be found at https://scoutingwire.org/bsa-membership-fee-increase-details-and-faq/

2 Likes