Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

New Immunization requirements starting 6/1/2022 for all participants attending events, activities, programs, or camps requiring an Annual Health and Medical Record

Immunizations

(Effective 6/1/2022) The BSA encourages all members of the Scouting community to utilize available vaccines that can provide protection in preventing infectious diseases.

Based on the recommendations of the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), it is the national policy of the BSA that all participants attending events, activities, programs, or camps requiring an Annual Health and Medical Record (AHMR) must be up to date on all the immunizations listed as required below:

REQUIRED for everyone:

• Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis (DTaP or Tdap)
  • Measles, Mumps, Rubella (MMR) (if born in 1957 or later)
  • Varicella (VAR) (chicken pox) (if born in 1980 or later)
  • Polio (IPV)

Although not required, the following immunizations are strongly recommended by both the BSA and the CDC. Please review your age-appropriate immunization status with your personal health care provider:

• COVID-19
  • Hepatitis A (HepA)
  • Hepatitis B (HepB)
  • Pneumonia (Pneumococcus): PVC13 or PPSV23)
  • Influenza (annually)
  • Haemophilus Influenza Type B (HIB)
  • Human Papilloma Virus (HPV)
  • Meningococcus Conjugate (MenACWY)
  • Meningococcus Type B (MenB)
  • Shingles — Zoster recombinant (RZV)

As new vaccines become available these requirements and recommendations may be modified.

Exemptions to this immunization policy will be accepted for medical reasons as determined for each individual (e.g., those with congenital conditions, compromised immune systems, or taking certain medications). Scouts and Scouters who have been exempted from required vaccinations MUST have this documented by their personal health care provider.

2 Likes

I haven’t compared this to the old one. Did the old health form only require tetanus?

“The following immunizations are recommended by the BSA. Tetanus immunization is required and must have been received within the last 10 years. If you had the disease, check the disease column and list the date. If immunized, check yes and provide the year received.”

1 Like

I’m surprised at the date used for Varicella. I was born in 81 and don’t believe I’ve ever had the vaccine. I had the disease as a kid, of course, as we all did back then. Guess I have to call my doctor and get that shot.

Yeah, I thought the vaccine came out in the mid-90’s in the US. I’m surprised they were vaccinating teenagers (1995-1981) for varicella. I think almost everyone I know got it when we were under 10. Just goes to show that it’s usually the stuff you “know” that’s wrong that gets you into trouble.

I’m surprised the BSA doesn’t note that as a live-attenuated virus vaccine, the V. zoster isn’t necessarily suitable for everyone (e.g. folks with immune compromising conditions). Presumably that gets caught in the “medical exemption” attachments.

1 Like

So I would be careful about requesting the Varicella immunization- you would rather have a titer drawn to prove you had it. I was also born in 81 and have worked in hospitals for 18-19 years and will admit a few years ago it was suddenly very important for me to now have a titer drawn demonstrating I had enough of a case as a kid. I recall being in 1st grade so 6?

Curious how we are supposed to indicate although I suppose I will just check “had disease” and move on.

It may be good to call out an error to the policy with regard to the varicella vaccine. According to CDC.gov, the varicella vaccine wasn’t available until 1995 in the USA, meaning, it is very unlikely that someone born prior to 1990 would have had the vaccine. More than likely, they would have had the actual virus/disease, as we indicate on the AHMR. My suspicion (no factual knowledge) is that the varicella vaccine should be required for those born after 1990 (and not 1980 as stated on the cited BSA web page).

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/varicella/public/index.html

2 Likes

From the statement in the immunization block about just Tetanus fro the current form (2019 printing), sounds like the form is going to need to be changed. I can see a parent reading the words on tetanus and ignoring the rest of the "required and recommended lists of immunizations. I wonder when the new form will be provided. Also what the policy will be for a person who just got the annual a month ago (before this policy was announced) and goes to long term camp in summer of 2022 and does NOT meet the new requirements, etc.
My understanding (I do NOT remember where I read this) is that a physical is good for 1 year.
Personally I attempt to get my annual physical in the Spring. I hope the new forms are out by then.

Immunizations are on part B of the form which does not need a doctor’s signature. The parent can just complete a new part B and continue using the old part C. I have many Scouts where the dates don’t match because of a change in meds or other information since part C was signed.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.