I don’t know if the answer to the first 4 questions would have changed any of the options of the last question. I could not answer the first four questions as they did not apply to my situation. If others saw different question 5, please post here. Below is what I was given:
- Provide digital content that we can use to make managing virtual Scouting easier.
- Open Scout camp to individual families for families to have their own camping experience.
- Provide unit leaders with digital tools to plan and prep for meetings to make it easier.
- Coordinate quarterly/seasonal program opportunities that our unit can “plug into” to help me find fun ways to keep Scouts engaged.
- Offer a subscription to a Scouting box so that unit members can purchase all of the components they need to complete their advancement at home or at the meeting.
- Offer your own options to improve Scouting.
Items 1 and 3 wold involve the IT department
Item 4 would involve the program department
Item 5 would involve the Scout Shop.
Item 2 involves the councils
Item 1 - virtual Scouting has been a stopgap measure so any work on it would be a waste of time.
Item 2 - The councils operate the scout camps. My council already provides this opportunity during the pandemic. Why would a family that likes the out of doors prefer to go to a scout camp over visiting a state or national park?
Item 3 - Almost any activity imaginable can be planned and prepared for based on information that exists on the internet. I don’t think the national organization can possibly add anything meaningful to this other than what Scouting Wire provides.
Item 4 - This would tend to homogenize scouting across the nation which is ill advised. Different climates, infrastructures, and local cultures make this an impossible exercise. Some Councils and Districts already do this very well because they know the opportunities available and usually nurture more opportunities in the area.
Now, if you wanted to increase program opportunities then coordinate a means for troops to attend alternate summer camps outside their councils. Going to the same summer camp for 6 years is just boring. I went to summer camp in TX, MO, Canada, Korea, and Philmont, all with different opportunities and features.
Item 5 - Just how is a purchase from scout shop going to be cheaper than getting the items from Amazon or Walmart.
If the IT department needs something to do and wants to lend a helping hand why don’t they consider these chores:
If the scout shop department needs something to do and wants to lend a helping hand why don’t they consider: