Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

No roundtables scheduled for my district

First off, I’m actually a den leader in a cub pack, but I think this is a general BSA issue, so I posted it here, but mods feel free to put this wherever it should best belong.

My son is a tiger Cub this year, and I was asked to be a den leader. Since I’m an eagle scout, and currently unemployed, I agreed, and I’m helping wherever I can. This pack is actually less that a year old after the previous troop in this area folded, and they had to find a new charter, and reform in February to salvage their class of wolves and one bear cub. As such, it’s a very small pack, with essentially no history, and as far as I can tell the other adults have no previous BSA experience.

There is a decent amount of enthusiasm, so more community with experienced leaders would probably help, and I wanted to suggest we attend a local roundtable … but there aren’t any. Our council has a schedule for all the district roundtables, and our district isn’t listed anywhere in the schedule. Then I searched for district roundtables for my district, and the last one was back in April, with no more scheduled. Every other district has one scheduled every month, with one of the districts scheduling two a month.

Who is usually responsible for these? Is this a district thing? A local service council thing? Does a troop or pack host them? I don’t even know who to contact about getting this going again, and seeing as I’m a volunteer of less than a month, I’m in a bit over my head.

1 Like

The District Chair and District Roundtable Commissioner would be responsible for scheduling them. If you can’t find out who these individuals are for your district, try your District Executive.

If you are near the location of another district’s Roundtable, you could go there until your district schedules them.

2 Likes

I’ll try to look up whom those individuals are.

No, the other roundtables aren’t close. The last one scheduled for our district was 25 miles away. The next closest one is 92 miles. That’s going to be rough trek in the evening for people with young kids, after a day of work.

1 Like

Well, I may have found part of the problem. I pulled up the staff listing for our service council, and we have no district executive. No listed district chair, or district roundtable commissioner; though to be fair, those two positions aren’t listed for any district. In fact, we have only one district employee at all, a field director, but she also serves as field director for 3 other districts. However, all three of the other district have district executives, if not additional employees, and we do not!

Of course nothing is happening in my district, there is no staff.

1 Like

@MatthewWalters1 - if you dont mind, please email me at sjhjr@comcast.net with your council info. I dont want this post to degrade beyond the scope of your question.

1 Like

Sure thing. I’ll send you info this evening.

1 Like

I would call the Field Director and ask about the district leadership. Unfortunately there are cases of implosion at the district level. I wouldn’t blame the professionals, as they really don’t have the authority for stopping such from happening. And in my council rarely have the time to begin preventing it.

1 Like

I’ve spoken to the field director several times already, and met her at events. I also emailed her last night.

I don’t blame her for it, as she’s done a bang up job in the interactions we’ve had, and if she’s the field director for 4 districts she’s probably stretched pretty thin. Somebody needs to take up some slack somewhere though. She can’t be the only resource for the whole district. That’s not fair to the units in this district, and it’s not fair to her.

1 Like

The field director is the boss of the DEs. It is the norm for them to oversee several districts. I’d hope she’s in the process of hiring a new DE, unless your district is so small as to not justify a dedicated DE.

2 Likes

I see what you’re saying here. Even so, if she’s responsible for overseeing 4 districts, and also had to manage this district entirely, that send like an undue burden. I’m new to this district, as I grew up scouting in a heavily populated districted in a metropolitan area, and this is a much more rural area; but perhaps if this district is small or faltering, it’s in part because it’s lacking resources and leadership. If we don’t even have roundtables, it’s going to be hard to keep units going.

1 Like

I didn’t reply to you directly before. Email sent.

1 Like

@MatthewWalters1 - thanks and yes I did receive it. I want to work through some contacts I have out there.

2 Likes

Great, let me know what you find.

1 Like

We had a pack outting today, and I found out more info.

Our district executive was promoted/left for another post earlier this year (I’m assuming in April), and hasn’t been replaced. The field director has been covering the scheduling, but doesn’t add them to event calendar for the council (as they are for all other districts, and used to be for this district). Instead she has been sending emails to unit leaders as reminders the day before the roundtable, but nobody else gets notified. Our pack leader is also new in the position, and information wasn’t being disseminated.

This issue still needs solving, but at least that offers some explanation.

1 Like
  1. It takes several people to set and maintain a district calendar. I believe the district commissioner and district committee are also involved. In reference to:

There is usually a roundtable commissioner for each traditional program under the district commissioner who enables the

Achievement of our objectives

Supporting unit growth and retention through the journey to excellence.
:black_small_square: Making meaningful unit contacts that capture in commissioner tools their strengths, needs, and a unit service plan that enables continuing improvement.
:black_small_square: Linking unit needs to district operating committee and other resources.
:black_small_square: Supporting timely unit, district, and council charter renewals.
:black_small_square: Supporting unit leaders by delivering effective roundtables that provide program ideas, relationship development, and timely communication.

1. The district commissioner is also a district member-at-large and a member of the district committee.

2. I maintain the district meeting calendar for my district and I ask the district commissioner, not the district chair, when the roundtables are scheduled.

1 Like

Are these paid or volunteer positions? I ask because, again, our district had no staff listed other than the field director.

I’m only about 4 weeks deep with this unit, and this charter is only 8 months old, so I’m getting quiet a baptism by fire trying figure things out.

1 Like

At the unit level the key-3 leaders are the chartered organization representative, the unit leader (cubmaster, scoutmaster, etc.) and the unit committee chair. The chartered organization representative is automatically a voting member of the district committee and the council committee.

At the district level the only paid BSA employee is the district executive, the rest of the district staff are all volunteers.

The leader guides are focused on running a den. For more information I suggest getting a copy of the Cub Scout Leader Book, 33221, 168 pages, copyright 2018 Boy Scouts of America, 2018 printing, SKU 646725, from your local scout shop.

1 Like

@Bill_W

Well, i need to find out who our district committee members are.

We currently have no district executive.

1 Like

Incidentally, I’ve also come to some confusion about whether or not the position for district executive is open, and hiring, or not. Some job sites say it is, some list it as closed, the council site shows it under employment, but the link goes to a job listing that says no longer available, and the BSA basically site doesn’t list it with other districts seeking an executive. Though this wasn’t at all the reason I started this inquiry, I mentioned previously in this thread that I’m currently unemployed, so if there position is indeed open, and the office is relatively local, I’m going to try to apply.

1 Like

Keep digging until you get to the bottom of it. In our District the DE position has a lot of turnover and sometimes we are without one for long periods so I feel some of your pain.

1 Like