Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Non-Uniform Wear of Neckerchief

I think I know the answer to this, but I wanted to ask in the forums anyway. I see from the Guide to Awards and Insignia, Special Regulations, that “When engaged in Scouting activities, members may wear the neckerchief with appropriate nonuniform clothing to identify them as Scouts.” My question is this: would it be appropriate to wear a neckerchief at a non-Scouting event where one will be representing Scouting, but not in a full Scout uniform?

Here is the scenario: I am the Boy Scout Chairman for The American Legion in my state. I will be providing a report from the Boy Scout Committee and presenting an Eagle Scout of the Year award at the state convention. I will be in a suit and wearing my Legion cap (hence no Scout uniform), but I want to represent that I am a Scouter.

I’ve looked over other authoritative posts on line (e.g. Yes, you can wear your Scout neckerchief with nonuniform clothing), but I don’t see where wearing a neckerchief at a non-Scouting event is addressed.

Any input is greatly appreciated!

That sounds like a scouting event to me.

5 Likes

I’m far from the uniform police, but I don’t think I’d mix uniforms (one part Scouts and one part Legion).

1 Like

Yes. The Guide to Awards and Insignia is clear on this subject.

Why?

This activity is not a Scouting activity but your part in it is advocating the benefits of Scouting, providing evidence of the benefits of Scouting, recognizing youth who have achieved distinction because of Scouting.

Your involvement is a Scouting activity at a non-Scouting event.

3 Likes

I’d be worried it wouldn’t look professional with a suit jacket and AL hat. Maybe something more subtle like a tie:

Sold out but cool:

I’ve scoured the Internet to find an example of a Scouter in a suit with a neckerchief, and the only examples I can find are of Alhendawi Ahmad, the Secretary General of the World Organization of the Scout Movement. While not BSA, it’s at least an example of what such outfitting looks like.

BuS4RTSIYAAK-KD.png-small

2 Likes

Do you like it? It’s not my look, but if you like it, I would say this is proof you can go for it. One last comment – there is a dress blazer fleur de lis magnetized emblem you can wear on a suit jacket at the Scout shop. Don’t know if you saw that. Regardless of what you choose, it’s great that you are going to represent.

Thanks for the information on the blazer emblem. I may take a look at it for next time. I’ll have a blazer pocket nameplate that I’ll be wearing. I’m also going to use the “International Adult Neckerchief” so that I’m not wearing a neckerchief associated with a particular element of Scouting.

2 Likes

My interpretation is that the

Dress Blazer Embroidered Emblem | Boy Scouts of America (scoutshop.org)

is part of the BSA professionals and adult Scouter dress uniform and it is only worn on that uniform.

The Scout neckerchief is worn on non-uniform clothing through out the world by many of the World Organization of the Scout Movement (WOSM) affiliated national Scouting organization members.