Not Getting Email Notifications for Applications

For What It’s Worth.

It may not be broken, you may have gotten the emails in error before. We need to confirm what roles (and delegate roles) are supposed to get them. The problem is, no one that knows for certain reads these forums.

That seems so crazy that no one who knows for certain reads these forums. How are we supposed to contact BSA if there is a problem? I would hope the new member chair would be a role to get the emails.

1 Like

@KatyBertucci - the forums are user based and not run by the paid staff. You could contact your council. Now I do think that the COR and CC would be approvers as i recall so they may well have the emails.

The BSA made changes to support some time ago that discontinued direct national support for volunteers, and only made support available via council staff (who can escalate an issue to nationals if they are unable to resolve it).

The volunteers here from the Scoutbook User Advisory Council (SUAC) have a channel to the developers for some (i.e. Scoutbook and IA2), but not all of the BSA’s IT properties. As a result, they can assist with getting some issues addressed, but not with others.

There may be some of the national-level staff/volunteers who are (not officially) reading the forums and taking note of issues that are coming up. However, it may be more likely to get movement if the issue is pushed via your council. You might try reaching out to whomever your council’s Scoutbook support staff/volunteer lead is, to see if they can connect you with the correct person at council to push the issue up the chain. Most councils have someone identified either on their website or the office staff can help direct you to the correct person.

I don’t like this support strategy any more than other volunteers (nor I suspect council staff, although that’s strictly speculation) do, but it’s what we’re stuck with unless the BSA changes its collective mind in the future.

1 Like

@KatyBertucci -

Okay, you validated your position - so, can you please check the following:
(1) validate that your email is correct on your profile (make sure it is not a bad domain extension - google.co vs google.com, etc.)
(2) email is selected as primary (green check mark next to it)
(3) Confirm that some notifications were sent recently by checking the online system on My.Scouting.
Invitation Manager sends emails on Monday & Thursday
Application Manager sends email on Tuesday & Friday
(4) if they were then check your spam folder, and make sure you have not blocked that email address.

If all that is looks good, then please contact your council and have them submit a help desk ticket for you.

@RonaldBlaisdell Who is supposed to get the emails?

• COR

• COR Designate

• Committee Chair

• Unit Leader

• New Member Coordinator

Well, they aren’t “here who has joined”, but approval for joining. That step in the process involves the COR for adults and the unit leader, CC, and/or for youth. The new member coordinator doesn’t have a formal role in that work process.

Matt -

That is what the documentation states as well as the Unit Resource Guide and the training videos. All of which are available here: https://www.scouting.org/resources/online-registration/

The process for submitting changes or enhancement requests is to submit a support ticket through your council.

Thanks! I’m glad it is documented. So a key 3 delegate doesn’t get it, but a new member coordinator does.

Matt - that is correct.

@RonaldBlaisdell - as an aside were you at the Demolay international congress?

All, I am a key 3 and new member coordinator. I took over march 2021 and I have never received any of the membership emails. Our committee chair gets them, but not me. I have triple checked all my settings are correct. I get email notifications for other things via my.scouting.org like these forum responses, but nothing to do with applications or new inquiries. I stopped trying and I just try and remember to check it every so often and my CC will forward emails to me.

Indeed I was. I am the Chair of Youth Protection.

1 Like

Are you one of the unit key 3 (CM/SM,CC,COR registered positions) or a Key 3 Delegate (functional position)? The latter isn’t (at least according to the documents referenced above) supposed to be getting the messages.

However, the NMC appears to be on the list, so that might be a reason to push a bug report up the chain through your council.

2 Likes

@RonaldBlaisdell - excellent… Senior DeMolay, Chevalier, Past Master and Past District Ritual Instructor here…

1 Like

How do I check #3, if notifications were sent?

I’m also really surprised they are only sent twice a week. That’s not very good customer service if a new scout has to wait a few days before receiving contact from us. The emails should be set up to send automatically/daily, as soon as a lead or new scout fills out the info.

Log into My.Scouting and see if there are any applications that have been submitted recently.

You are welcome to submit enhancement requests through your Council support team who can submit a trouble ticket.

To clarify - only these users (and not the other Key3 Delegates) get the notifications of new leads and applications?

I don’t get new lead notifications as a Key 3 delegate, but I’m not sure that all of the Key 3 in my unit do, either. I haven’t asked since new member stuff isn’t specifically in my wheelhouse as an ASM.

Since the thread is about a year old, though, things may have changed after the discussion.

1 Like