Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Old patches worn on a new shirt

I’m an adult and the council and OA lodge name have changed since I was in Scouting as a youth. Is it now ok to wear those old patches on a new shirt? I’ve since re-up’d as an ASM.

Can I still wear previous-generation uniform pieces?
Yes. With BSA uniforms, the rule is: once official, always official

Can I mix and match old and new uniform pieces?
Yes. For example, you could wear the new tan Scouts BSA uniform shirt with previous-generation green uniform pants

This isn’t quite true for OA flaps. When lodges merge or change names, it is a new lodge. The flap one wears is the lodge in which one is a member. If you are wearing a flap when a name change happens do they make you take it off? No, it really doesn’t work that way. Should you put on a flap for a lodge that no longer exists and you aren’t a member of any longer (since it doesn’t exist)? No.

“# Q/A: Cub Den Leader Wearing a Lodge Flap

Q: As a 15 year old, I went through the OA Ordeal. Now, as an adult, I am a den leader for my son’s Cub Scout den. Can I wear the symbol of the OA on my den leader uniform?

A: Once a Scout or Scouter goes through their Ordeal, they are a member of the Order of the Arrow for the rest of their life (as long as they are registered with the BSA). As they move to new councils, they need to connect with the local OA lodge at each place to continue their active membership. Generally, all you need to do is to pay your dues in your new lodge.

Once you have paid your dues and are an active member again, you can then wear the OA Lodge flap on your uniform. This is true for all adults registered with the BSA, no matter what part of the program (Cub Scouts, Scouts BSA, Venturing) they are currently in.

You should contact your current council’s service center. Explain the situation, and they should be able to tell you how to pay your dues and acquire a lodge flap. They can also put you in contact with the local lodge leadership, so you can become an active OA member.“

That doesn’t seem to address the old versus new question, just membership.

There’s a similar response related to wearing the flap of your previous lodge here. Both the article Matt points to and the one referenced here make it clear that you should only be wearing the lodge flap of the lodge with which you are currently affiliated.

I think it’s a reasonable extrapolation that, if a lodge no longer exists (or as in my case Ashie and Pang lodges merged to form Tiwahe), then no one should be actively wearing the lodge flap of those lodges.

ETA: Quoted portion of article added.

2 Likes

That’s the answer there!

Yep, you cannot be a dues-paying, voting member of a legacy Lodge.

1 Like

@MarcSalino, Keep the vintage flap on the old shirt with all of the old patches. Trade shirts with a scout/scouter from another country. When you do, include a write-up on a small card to go with your shirt that explains the patches. This is the best way to live scouting large!

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.