One click RSVP like unsubscribe

Our troop has been using a homegrown RSVP system and I would like to replace it with Scoutbook for many reasons.

One issue that’s coming up are problems with logging into Scoutbook. I noticed that there’s a magic link to unsubscribe from future mailings.

It would be nice to have “Coming” and “Not Coming” as magic links without requiring a login, solving a CAPTCHA, etc.

Also, it would be nice if “future mailings” was more clear. Does it mean mailings about this event? Does it mean all mailings ever?

1 Like

If your reference to future mailing is related to the unsubscribe link, that means you are unsubscribing from all mailing from the BSA.

That’s what I’m referring to.

Many people ignore the reminder messages. I get this on Gmail:

There are several options presented to the user:

1. Report spam (the default)
  2. Report phishing
  3. Unsubscribe from every email ever
  4. RSVP but you have to log in

4 options and 3 of them are bad. This does not seem optimal.

I mentioned people ignoring the reminder messages. That’s not great. If they don’t, and enough people mark the message as spam instead, many other people will never see the reminders because Google will put them in the spam folder.

By the way, thank you for clarifying. I was/am a little frustrated by your answer but that’s totally not your fault.

I’m trying to put myself in the place of a busy parent who gets one of these emails and makes it as easy as possible for them to do the right thing.

That is a great idea. Two “deep links” that all it exposes security wise is going or. It would be for that one person for that one activity. That would be awesome.

1 Like

That screenshot seems to be something gmail is presenting and therefore not something the BSA can directly control. Any calendar reminder emails do have a link to unsubscribe at the bottom that the BSA implemented. Its a way to reduce reports directly to Google, which if they get too many can essentially blacklist all scoutbook emails.

Yes, that’s why an easy way to say “Not coming” would help with deliverability. Some other providers (Microsoft, for example) are supposed to be even more strict than Google if they see a lot of messages marked as spam.

Maybe the easiest thing to do here is to unsubscribe from all future emails from BSA which is not what anybody wants. The troop doesn’t want it, BSA doesn’t want it and almost certainly the parent doesn’t want it.

The other easy thing to do is push the “spam” button in your mail client.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.