Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Order of the Arrow Eligibility Report inconsistent

When preparing for our OA election this year our SM ran the OA Eligibility Report. For some scouts the report was correctly counting the number of nights of camping required; but for others, it was not. It was off by 1. Once this was pointed out the SM then went in and verified the number of nights manually for all the scouts who were close to see if they were indeed eligible. We are unsure if this is tied to a particular camping event that is being counted incorrectly or if there is another issue. For one scout the SM did dig in and see if somehow there were more days than nights being counted for example, just to see if that could be some kind of choke point, but did not find anything odd.

It counts correctly - but not all nights you have recorded are eligible - " The 15 nights must include one, but no more than one, long-term camp consisting of at least five consecutive nights of overnight camping, approved and under the auspices and standards of the Boy Scouts of America. Only five nights of the long-term camp may be credited toward the 15-night camping requirement; the balance of the camping (10 nights) must be overnight, weekend, or other short-term camps of, at most, three nights each"

According to the SM it is not counting correctly. The short term nights are what are counting incorrectly I believe.

How is it not counting short term nights correctly? Please provide details. Keep in mind only 3 nights of a 4 night campout count and NO nights of a campout 5 or more days count.

Parts of a long chain from email, if it helps. I am changing names to #1, #2 and #3.

The OA eligibility report is not consistently adding up the nights of camping (even without the Sea Base issue I raised earlier, where the report is actually correct). #1’s Camping Log (in Scoutbook) clearly has 10 qualifying nights of short-term camping, and the report shows 9. #2’s record was also brought up by his dad, and when I checked his Camping Log, he had 7 qualifying nights instead of the 6 on the report, which doesn’t change his eligibility, but it’s troubling.

On the other hand, I double-checked #3’s camping log, and he does actually have the 9 qualifying nights the report shows. It’s inconsistent, and I’m not sure if it’s related to a specific event that’s confusing the system or something else, but I did dig into each event in #1’s log to see if there was anything strange (more nights than days, or anything the system could choke on), and I didn’t find anything.

(another email)
I’ll use #2’s info from above:

2 nights 9/27/19 Assateague

5 nights 7/22/19 World Jamboree (only 5 nights count of the 11; need one 5 night camping trip)

2 nights 6/14/19 Marsden Tract

1 night  5/01/19 Whitewater camping trip (possibly wasn't entered when you ran the report?)

3 nights 7/21/18 Goshen (only 3 nights of a 4 night campout count)

2 nights 5/11/18 New Scout Campout

1 night  4/27/18 Projectoree

WSJ (7/22/19) is 11 nights and Goshen (7/21/18) is 7 nights in the camping log. They are both long-term camping, of which only 5 nights count, regardless how many long-term camping trips a scout has done. The OA eligibility report worked correctly and consistently in calculating this.

The other trips in the log add up to 8 nights of short-term camping. We had missed the 4/27/18 Projectoree night and added it in later, so when I ran the report there were actually only 7 nights of short-term camping in the log, and the OA eligibility report said he had 6. It was off by one night - no idea why. I had gone in to each of his events to see if one may have had a typo in camping days or something that looked wrong and could confuse some behind-the-scenes logic, but I didn’t notice anything.

The same thing was true for #1, who might be a better test case. His camping log had 10 legitimate short-term camping nights in it (and we haven’t changed anything for it), but the OA eligibility report for him only showed 9 nights. Again, no idea why.

Hope this information helps.

I think it would be helpful if you could send an e-mail to Scoutbook support at:

scoutbook.support@scouting.org

Please include the name and BSA ID numbers of the Scouts that you think there are issues. Also please include:

• The csv file from the Scouts’ Camping logs
  • Their Date Joined Scouts BSA
  • The Election Date that you are using when you create the report

After you send the e-mail to Scoutbook support, you should receive an automated reply with an SSD number in the subject. Post the number here and we will help keep an eye on it.

OK, will do. Thanks.

It is important to check the date joined scouts bsa field on the edit profile page. It will not count any nights prior to that date or more than two years prior to the date you ran the report for.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

The dated joined was checked and correct.

I will submit with the additional info suggested in the thread on OA Eligilibity Report in Extensions Forum (separate issue, but this was re-addressed). As noted in that thread, I got sidetracked with this staying home business and never followed through and sent this in to SB support. I will do so this week and update with the SSD number.