BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Outings or field trips question

I am wondering if there is policy guidance on opening a den outing to the pack. Such as, if the wolves are going to a coin museum for a field trip, can this be opened to the pack without having to get permission from the committee? It would not be a pack outing but would allow other scouts to look at electives too.

2 Likes

No policy preventing that. It might be a good idea to run it by your Cubmaster, though, in case there is a known conflict.

2 Likes

Thank you. The cub master has no problems with it but our committee chair has said we are not allowed to. That is why I was seeking policy.

1 Like

I’d suggest finding out what specific policy or concern they have with it. There could be concerns from a Youth Protection perspective or maybe something else. But generally there’s not a problem with it.

1 Like

I suspect most pack committees would only be concerned if there was a budget (money) issue.

My understanding is that the Cubmaster and Den Leaders run the program and the Pack Committee has a support role.

Ask your Cubmaster. Your Cubmaster might want to have an adult leader from each den going present on the trip. Who is in charge of the trip needs to be clearly understood, especially if the Cubmaster or an Assistant CM is not going on the trip.

Remember the methods of Scouting include the patrol/den method. You can have more than one den on a trip, but they should do the activities as separate dens if possible.

2 Likes

Unfortunately there are apparently issues within our pack between the committee chair and cub master so not a lot happens. One of the issues I had last year was my den being invited to participate in a service project and, after talking to the person who invited us, the entire pack was invited. Our committee chair got upset and said she was the only one authorized to schedule something like this. She then demanded my contacts information for it to be approved as a pack event. I would not give my friends personal information without talking to him first so she would not allow it. Unfortunately there was only one other committee member there at the time and he wouldn’t vote to do anything extra because he didn’t want to deal with any of it. Basically, the pack is a mess with few trying to improve it.

1 Like

Time for a new committee chair. Do you have pack bylaws to guide that process, or is it handled by the Charter Organization directly?

3 Likes

@Scooter1 i think its time to get in contact with your Chartered Organization Representative to discuss the issues your pack is having .

1 Like

The egos of adults should never get in the way of programming for the youth. If a parent sets something up and will be a quality program, it should be approved if there isn’t a conflict.

If other members in the pack want to give their time for service or to attend a cool museum, they should be given the option to do so if they’re invited to participate.

2 Likes

Sounds like a good time to chat with your Unit Commissioner and see if they can have a meeting with you all.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.