BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Parent Volunteer Requirements For Day Camp

Reaching out for a little help on this. I have been receiving many different directions on this subject. Where can I find in black and white so that I know I am following the book.
What is required for a DAY CAMP PARENT VOLUNTEER?
So far I have been told
Has to be registered through BSA and pay the fee and have Youth Protection Completed / doesn’t have to be registered through BSA but does have to have Youth Protection Completed.
What is correct?

I feel BSA does not follow the GTSS on this - for Scouts BSA Summer Camp - one adult was a registered MBC and had YPT. I was told he could not attend as he was not a registered leader? WHAT? They said he had to be registered with a unit, not a council.

So I plan to purge the Commissioners campsite when I get to the camp LOL.

As far as your Question @SeanBarker There is the GTSS and what it says. Most Councils see it as a 72 hour events so those rules apply (which the new YPT covers anyway.) And talk to your council

I think that’s up to your council.

How long is the day camp? If it is 72 hours or more, then the volunteer must be registered with the BSA.

https://www.scouting.org/health-and-safety/gss/gss01/#a

Other than that, it is up to the council.

1 Like

Sean, many things interact here. Bottom line, your council decides the requirements for parents to attend day camp.

1. Your state may have requirements for adults attending day camp.

2. A council can set whatever requirements they want for parents to attend with their scout. Many require parents to complete YPT so there is no confusion about what is allowed and what is not.

3. Per BSA’s 2019 National Camp Standards manual [quoted below], normally, parents are not considered camp staff or personnel. Therefore, they are not required by the Standards to be registered members of the BSA like staff and personnel, nor are they required to take the same training as staff and personnel.

4. Per the Guide to Safe Scouting, quoted below:

• Two leader rule = All events require two registered leaders. Day Camp is one event, therefore, it requires two registered leaders; thankfully, many registered leaders attend.

• Female leader rule = All events attended by female youth must have a female registered adult. So, one female registered leader is required at Day Camp if one or more female scouts attend. Thankfully, many female registered leaders attend.

• 72 hr. rule = If the day camp runs for many days, and you attend for a cumulative 72 hrs. or more, then, you are required to have current YPT and register as a leader. I have not seen a Cub Scout Day Camp that lasted more than 50 hours over five days. [The only training for the Unit Scouter Reserve position is YPT.]

from the 2019 National Camp Standards manual, SQ-401-2, second bullet [emphasis added]: Camp staff and camp personnel do not include (1) third parties who come on-site to offer a program to camp participants, are accompanied by camp staff while present, and do not remain on-site overnight; and (2) parents and volunteers in day camps and family camps who assist in program while staff are present and provide supervision. In any camp, an unsupervised volunteer must meet the requirements for camp staff.

from the online Guide to Safe Scouting, first two paragraphs under Adult Supervision [emphasis added]:

Two registered adult leaders 21 years of age or over are required at all Scouting activities, including meetings. There must be a registered female adult leader 21 years of age or over in every unit serving females. A registered female adult leader 21 years of age or over must be present for any activity involving female youth. Notwithstanding the minimum leader requirements, age- and program-appropriate supervision must always be provided. (Youth Protection and Barriers to Abuse FAQs)

All adults accompanying a Scouting unit who are present at the activity for 72 total hours or more must be registered as leaders. The 72 hours need not be consecutive.

edit = added Unit Scouter Reserve comment

1 Like

Some state laws mandate counting time from the opening of camp to the closing of camp, even if campers are not there the majority of the time. Hence, a typical Monday to Friday day camp would be more like 104 hours (24x4+8) in those states.

Would that state law require the adult to count their time at camp the same way when calculating their personal time at camp?

For YPT purposes, I’d assume so, but I’m not positive

@SeanBarker, it appears that somebody is confusing Day Camp and Resident Camp. For Day Camp, which is normally 8 hours or less a day for 5 days, Youth Protection Training should be sufficient. For Resident Camp, if the adult will be at camp more than 72 total hours (can be 48 at the beginning of the week and 24 at the end of the week, then they must be registered with the BSA and have completed both YPT and the criminal background check.

Now, with that said, your local council has the authority to be more stringent, so the person you should really be talking with is the Day Camp Director for where you are attending. They would know the answer much better than those of us on the other side of the country.