Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
âś•
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Patrol Cooking Set

Hello. Does anyone have any good recommendations for a cooking nesting set of pots and pans for 8 kids?

Since a Scout is Thrifty, I would first suggest asking the parents if they have any cookware that is rarely used that could be donated.

Are you looking for a new set? Scouts can be rough on cookware unless you have a strong Quartermaster maintaining the supplies.

Personally, one or 2 Dutch Ovens to cook over fire, a couple of non-stick Wal-Mart quality skillets, a large pot for cooking or boiling water for cleaning.

Are you cooking on propane camp stoves?

Where I would invest is quality cooking utensils like good knives, spatulas, cutting boards. As the “Cooking ASM” I am really big on good cutlery because cutting with flimsy dull knives are dangerous.

I’ll keep the All Clad cookware in my kitchen… :joy:

1 Like

Good advice @WilliamC.

One thing we invested in as a Troop was a propane turkey fryer that we use to boil water for cleaning. That’s made a huge impact on the ease of keeping the camp kitchen and the messware clean…

1 Like

Good point! I bring mine to every camping event along with the big propane burner that came with it. It’s a great item to have. It may be the most versatile item to have. The burner not only works great for the pot, but it works well with a wok, a large skillet to name a few uses.

1 Like

What’s the intended range of use? Are the scouts taking it car camping? Overnight backpacking? Longer distances? Although there are some options that work for most or all of these (e.g. a single 2 quart aluminum pot with a lid that you can nest a backpacking stove and fuel canister inside), different activities have somewhat different profiles for gear.

The recommendations you’ve gotten so far are pretty good for car camping. Although our troop doesn’t use them, I personally like the older GSI Bugaboo aluminum cookset for car camping (just the nesting pots and lids only, without all of the mess kit junk that’s included in kits I’ve seen more recently). The only issues are that they are less resilient to abuse than “plain old” aluminum pots and pans, and that the lids are plastic(!) and tend to be warped out of the box.

Our troop uses either a mix-and-match of low-cost cooking gear in patrol boxes for car camping, or the single-pot with “nesting” stove concept I described above. The pots are at least 8 years old, and still kicking, so durability is good there. I’d have to see if anyone knows the manufacturer, since there aren’t any maker’s marks on the pot itself. I believe that the stoves are the MSR Dragonfly canister type. I just went weekend backpacking with my family, and we used the same setup as the troop has (single 2 quart pot with lid and a stove/fuel canister that fits inside) for two adults and two kids.

If you are focused specifically on a nesting set, I found this at Amazon that looks like a winner for 61.00

@WilliamC - we bought the same kit for our troop and crew patrol boxes.

Hello everyone. Thanks for the recommendations. I’m looking for a large cooking set. Not backpacking. With a large pot and a frying pan.

What kind of budget are you working with?

less than 200 dollars

This looks pretty nice. Available in 10 or 15 pieces

I saw the 10 to 15 piece set recommended. Realistically, they need a big pot, about 6-8 quarts, and a 16" nonstick frying pan, preferably used. If they are doing cooking in a campfire, a Dutch oven. I would not buy new pots for Scout patrols; used are fine. Our troop has seen a lot of wear and tear in pots and pans.

1 Like

Our Troop also uses the turkey fryer pot and burner. We always have plenty of hot water. The burner comes in handy when used with our big frying pan also.

1 Like

I agree in the Keep-It-Simple method. I personally wouldn’t recommend spending 200 dollars on cookware set for 8 Scouts unless the Troop has money to burn. All of the more thrifty suggestions plus the Turkey Fryer pot and burner for multipurpose uses should all a patrol-size number of Scouts need.

I’ll just chime in that I have the ~ $60 set from Amazon for my own personal chuck box, and it is not a backpacking set. It’s very nice, has a good weight bottom, and should be good for a group of 8 scouts. I would feel comfortable cooking for two families in it. Yes, it could probably use a larger fying pay, but a griddle for those pancake mornings would probably be even better than a larger frying pan. I really wish the BSA still had their large Aluminum patrol mess kit.

The STANSPORT is bought by a lot of people on boats, which also need nesting pots, so if you still think it’s too small, look into boating supplies…

This is an affordable basic group cookware set

This is a little out of the box from your original question and definitely does not nest, but we have been using a huge wok for a lot of our big group cooking. When I say huge, I mean like a 28-inch diameter wok (picked it up at Ace Mart Restaurant Supply for less than $40). We use it in conjunction with a high pressure version turkey fryer burner (works super great for boiling water fast in the turkey fryer pot also). On multiple occasions we have cooked up 72 scrambled eggs in short order. We could easily do 96 eggs in it. Except for where you need a flat griddle (pancakes, minute steaks), the wok can pretty much be used for everything else. The price is right, it is easy to clean, and it is darn near indestructible. I recommend getting a wok spatula, wok ladle and regular cooking tongs to go with it.

Why would a patrol of 8, with a couple of adult guests, need to cook 72 eggs?

First, I qualified my post with stating that what I was posting was outside of the original request. I decided to post the information because I do not know Mr. Younes’ experience with Scouting and camping. Sometimes people do not know what they do not know, but if given some other ideas, they may change directions after seeing a different perspective. Most Troops are trying to grow, so his 8-Scout patrol could increase by a couple. Although storage volume might be a concern for Mr. Younes, weight is probably not as he stated this was not for backpacking.

Second, my 15-year-old will wolf down 6 eggs no problem on top of the bacon or sausage or whatever else is also being served. I have one other boy in my Troop that I have no doubt will eat a dozen and may still come back for more. As far as me, I will also eat 4 to 6 eggs. Given these numbers, it does not take much to get to 72 eggs. If you and your Scouts are not eating well on campouts, then there is definitely something wrong in the planning and execution phases.

@Matt.Johnson have you been around Scouts? I have NO TROUBLE believing 8 scouts knocking down 72 eggs in 10 minutes.

2 Likes