Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Permission Slip - Digital

Does anyone have a way of allowing parents to sign permission slips digitally? It would avoid a lot of “I forgot my slip” and having to run home and get another one. Then a leader could print them and have a hard copy on hand.

No. You can print ones that are prefilled out save for the signature. This is a life lesson about taking responsibility for each scout.

1 Like

You can scan your form and email it out to the parents and they can sign it digitally. That’s what we have to do a lot with our COR because he is hard to track down sometimes.

You can create a PDF. Digital signing is built into the Adobe Reader.

1 Like

Scoutbook calendar with the extension has the cabilites to send it out. We have a few blanks on hand incase of that very same reason.

1 Like

If someone “forgets” their form, we usually (but not always) have a few blanks the parent can fill out/sign when they drop off for an event. We do have a rule, no permission slip, no campout (or other such event).

1 Like

We email the permission slips out the week before the campout, and have hard copies “just in case”… not everyone has a printer at home to use.

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the feedback

You may not want to hear about it, but Troopmaster has the ability to have a parent check off for permission. We don’t generally do slips. The exceptions are for one location the landowner has requested them, and shooting.

What is your plan if a Scout has to go to the emergency room?

Or better yet, the SM who told a story of a Scout going on a camping without telling their parents. They were grounded.

1 Like

Yep, that’s one reason why we require paper permission slips for all events. Also, you don’t need to worry about cell signal or battery strength with paper forms.

1 Like

Well so far I haven’t had an ER visit - but when I had to take a scout to the doctor at summer camp, they looked through Part A and treated the scout. Our med forms go on all campouts and are present at meetings.

As for the story of the scout who went without telling their parents - well that will be a teaching moment indeed. I have a great relationship with my scout’s parents. I don’t have any old enough to drive. I had one who has aged out, and if he shows up in a car even as an adult there would be a phone call.

Now for the return to your serve: “You generally get from people what you expect from them. You clearly expect them to lie - where does that fit into our program?”

What happened to “Being Prepared”?

The permission slip is two-way communication, while the AMR is not. The permission slip is telling the parents:

• Where we’re camping
  • When and where drop off is
  • When and where pick up is
  • Which adult leaders will be at the campout, and how to contact them.
  • Any special requirements for the campout.

Getting it back, signed by the parents, tells us that they know the logistics for the campout.

None of that is covered by the AMRs in the binder. And, while the AMR has a general release to provide medical care, it does not explicitly provide any other permissions to the adult leaders to do things such as transport youth to/from a campout (for example).

The AMR is being prepared. I can get them medical treatment. I have spoken with a number of people who have taken scouts for treatment. They all said that Part A was the “golden ticket.”

As for the other information it is sent in an email and we haven’t had any problems. My CM aid a lawyer had he has offered no concerns about getting special permission to transport youth. As for proof the parent knows what is happening - i would never underestimate the ability of someone to have a mental slip regardless of that signed note.

(Oh we had COVID a paperwork last campout for the council.) not sure any of the parents actually read what they signed.

I accepted photos of signed permission slips when I run sports events for my school.

I’m not worried about a mental slip from a parent, getting the permission slip protects the Troop from that – show a signed permission slip to a lawyer and they say “well, the Troop told you what was going on”…

And, as I said, this is about being prepared. Just because you haven’t had any issues with parents about transporting kids, etc. doesn’t mean there aren’t litigious parents out there that would jump all over you given the opportunity.

I’ve mentioned in other threads that we used to have a Scout in our Troop that got hurt on virtually every single camp out (and several Troop meetings, to boot). Sprained his ankle. Stepped on a bee while barefoot. Sliced his hand open while cooking. Ran into a tree and broke his nose… The first time he got hurt on a campout, Dad spent a couple weeks chasing after the Troop leadership to pay for his trip to urgent care. I’m sure he would have sued us if he could find a viable approach.

What I expect is that Scouts turn in the signed slip. They worry about printing it out and getting their parents to sign it. We just collect it.

The ER visit I am worried about is not that the Scout will get treatment. Is that we are entitled to the info about the Scout after the go “back” in the ER. That will be up to each ER. National has been clear that part A is not a permission slip. Search bryan on scouting, they have a FAQ about it.

1 Like

I genuinely hope you have done your research. In Texas if you don’t have 9 year’s worth, you are likely better off without it. Because that is your window. The parent has two years, and a child has an additional two upon becoming an adult.

Also, it interesting the “expert” opinion simply flies in the face of the wording. Go ahead and collect a permission slip each event. I will continue as I have as well. But please research how long you need to keep them. I really would feel bad if you find you are worse off because of a missing slip.

I don’t need any additional research. We lawyered up and got a permission slip that our CO’s lawyers approved.