BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Photo copy of blue card

I have a picture of a lost Blue card that has already been entered into Scoutbook. Is a printed copy of the photo that shows the Blue Card completed sufficient for the scouts record keeping or do I need to give him a new Blue Card? MB is complete, signed and recorded.
Thank you,
Holly

I’m not aware of a requirement that the photo wouldn’t qualify as evidence, but I’m a belt-and-suspenders kinda guy. I’d probably either ask the same MBC to issue a duplicate card, or if not feasible, I would ask an MBC familiar with the scout’s work to issue a duplicate on the strength of the existing card/work.

ETA: Typos. I’m surrounded by typos… well, my typos…

2 Likes

I scan each of my child’s blue cards then attach a jpg of each side in Scoutbook in case the original is lost. As a Scoutmaster, I would accept a photo copy of a Blue Card.

2 Likes

I would similarly accept a photo/copy. That being said, if you can get a new card issued it would be a good prevention against any sort of questioning from a rogue eagle board of review (I say rogue because the blue card or a copy of a blue card should suffice but you never know what somebody else is going to get hung up on).

1 Like

Man some councils and their EBOR - GTA 8.0.3.0 #4 - A board of review shall not occur until after the local council has verified the application. In the case of a board of review under disputed circumstances, the council must verify all the information that is not in dispute before the board of review is scheduled. - No need for an EBOR to even see Blue Cards. - the Council has already checked the accuracy of all the Ranks and MBs

5 Likes

Nobody expects the Council Inquisition

6 Likes

Nobody expects an inquisition and inquisitions are inapprorpiate but they do happen

1 Like

I suspect the reference was missed. Think Monty Python…and yes I am showing my age. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

It’s not the same without the brass section playing, @Stephen_Hornak.

And now that we’ve established that this reference is an ex-parrot, I will retreat into my own little world where everyone gets my obscure references. :laughing:

5 Likes

@CharleyHamilton - wink wink… nudge nudge

3 Likes

Fine, just silly-walk out of the discussion…

3 Likes

I think getting a duplicate card is the best. I’ve heard of some councils only using SB, others only accepting physical blue cards. When it comes to something like Eagle, why chance it? I take photos of every one of the blue cards my kids get, just in case. I have seen a scout have to re-do an entire merit badge due to a lost blue card. Ouch :frowning:

Paul, did the troop not have the unit’s part of the blue card? Or the merit badge counselor the counselor’s part?

1 Like

Alas not as it was earned at summer camp. All the troop had was a scout book record I’m afraid. Even as an MBC I photo/scan and upload to storage the cards I sign off on. Yes, it’s paranoid but the alternative…

I would use it, and keep a copy of it, and give a copy to the Youth. There are times from summer camp where they don’t come back with blue cards, but they come back with registration sheets showing that they have completed it. I think this is fine, just keep a copy of the whole thing.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.