Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Photo use without consent or release

Can photos of my scout be used without my consent or release outside of the BSA scouting program?

I’m not sure I understand your question. Are you asking about the text of the release in Part A of the Annual Health and Medical Record? That question might best be directed to the folks at your council, who may be able to raise the question with national BSA.

If you feel someone used a photo in a way you aren’t comfortable, I’d start with the person who used it and ask them to remove it.

4 Likes

Part A of the Annual Health and Medical Record contains the following release of any images.

I also hereby assign and grant to the local council and the Boy Scouts of America, as well as their
authorized representatives, the right and permission to use and publish the photographs/film/
videotapes/electronic representations and/or sound recordings made of me or my child at all
Scouting activities, and I hereby release the Boy Scouts of America, the local council, the activity
coordinators, and all employees, volunteers, related parties, or other organizations associated
with the activity from any and all liability from such use and publication. I further authorize the
reproduction, sale, copyright, exhibit, broadcast, electronic storage, and/or distribution of said
photographs/film/videotapes/electronic representations and/or sound recordings without limitation
at the discretion of the BSA, and I specifically waive any right to any compensation I may have for
any of the foregoing.

The question is really whether the BSA or some other person collected and shared the images. If the BSA did it, and you’ve provided this form with your signature, then I think you’d find it hard to gain satisfaction.

In my unit, I make sure to point out this release to parents, and if they have any objections I do my best to not share images of their children.

1 Like

You would have only signed for BSA to use those photos for its purposes (e.g., promotions, news letters, etc …).
If someone is using those photos for their business, both you and BSA have recourse.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.