Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

PYR required for Lions?

What is the definitive source for rank requirements?
Our Lion den is just getting started and I figured I would try out the Den Leader Experience and see if it’s still as awful as it used to be. It populated the meetings and the second meeting - in the middle of the Lion’s Honor sequence - is Protect Yourself Rules, marked as required. I thought that was odd since it’s a replacement for cyber chip, right? That was never required for Lions.
Popped over to the regular Scoutbook and that just says parents have to go over the pamphlet exercises.
Is PYR required for Lions or not?

1 Like

@ChristyDryden - please… and i repeat please do not use the DLE

5 Likes

If you set it up (as I have) does it automatically invite parents or is there another step before it goes live?
I wasn’t necessarily planning on using it, but wanted to try setting it up so that when onboarding new leaders I can at least have a more knowledgeable statement than “just don’t. No really. Ignore that training module. You’ll thank me later.”

@ChristyDryden - I do not think it invites parents to connect nor is it something that parents would access. I think its primary function is den meetings and plans for activities surrounding advancement. 9ne of the primary issues involves the meeting dates something that when created is a pain to get rid of when wrong.

1 Like

PYR is not required for Lions. Neither the Lion handbook nor the following site say anything about it. Could you provide a screenshot of what you are seeing without showing any names?

1 Like

PYR still isn’t a substitute for the pamphlet exercises, right? I don’t want to devote 15 minutes of a 45 minute meeting to watching that video, but I would ask them to do that at home if it can take the place of the pamphlet exercises like this seems to suggest. (And like it logically ought to!)

PYR does not serve as a substitute for the pamphlet exercises for any other ranks. So, there’s no reason to think it would for Lions.

2 Likes

My suspicion is that the logic erroneously got copied into all of the ranks by the developers.

Darn.
For a brief moment I thought maybe, just maybe, they had realized that this was the role PYR ought to fill in the program and had fixed it.

1 Like

Does that mean it’s now required for other ranks?? Or still just an alternative to cyber chip?

They still have the option of either PYR or cyber chip for the other ranks.

One of the drawbacks with DLE is that it WILL put in PYR by default, & always puts it down as the 1st or 2nd meeting. There is no means to delete it (trying to delete any meeting gets an Error), only to manually move out the date. It essentially removes an unsuspecting Den Leader’s options for that requirement & forces them to do what is still a Beta adventure.
In my opinion, PYR should be done AFTER the pamphlet exercises, so that scouts & parents are not caught off guard. I have had some scouts get scared & upset with the videos, I find that if the parents do the pamphlet exercises first, then at least it is a familiar subject when we watch the video later.
PYR is also very different from Cyber Chip, which still has great value, so I don’t think it should be an alternative but rather I try to do both (Cyber Chip first so that PYR can fulfill elective).

Christy, I commend you for wanting to have a better answer when onboarding new leaders.

It appears that DLE hasn’t had any changes/ updates/ investments since it rolled out in 2018. The Leader training was last updated in 2019 when there was still a big push to try out the (new at the time) DLE. So every new Den leader gets to repeat the terrible experiences unless someone is around to warn them. But then, right off the bat as a newbie leader, they are getting conflicting messages, & opening the door to doubt the BSA.

2 Likes

PYR for Lions (Cub Scouts in kindergarten)

Protect Yourself Rules (PYR) - Preview Adventure

Scouting magazine article

The Data Is In: The Protect Yourself Rules Cub Scout Adventure Is Working”,
April 30, 2021. By Aaron Derr

It’s been nearly two years since the BSA debuted Preview Adventures, elective Adventures for Cub Scouts that count toward advancement just like other Adventures, but haven’t yet made their way into the printed handbooks.

During the preview period, these Adventures remain under evaluation — and up for possible revision, depending on response from Cub Scouts and leaders alike. …

You can do this Adventure as a den or pack activity, or at home as a family.

Protect Yourself Rules (PYR) v. s. Cyber Chip

COPPA

COPPA expressly states that the law applies to commercial websites and online services and not to nonprofit entities that otherwise would be exempt from coverage under Section 5 of the FTC Act.

Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act of 1998, 15 U.S.C. 6501–6505
Children’s Privacy
RULE SUMMARY:
COPPA imposes certain requirements on operators of websites or online services directed to children under 13 years of age, and on operators of other websites or online services that have actual knowledge that they are collecting personal information online from a child under 13 years of age.

Created 2 November 2021, Version 2021-11-02-M

At the Webelos level it covers internet safety and makes sense as a cyber chip alternative. Just not for the younger kids.

I’ll suggest PYR to parents as an optional elective to do at home, but when we only have one 45 meeting plus one outing each month, I can’t see devoting a third of our meeting time for the month to watching a video together!

1 Like

Extract from the Guide to Advancement

33088, ISBN 978-0-8395-3088-6, ©2021 Boy Scouts of America, 2021 Printing, p. 14, with links updated to secure-connection links.

4.0.0.1 Changes to Requirements

Advancement requirements change from time to time. For each program’s requirements, consult the following web pages, which are expected to be updated annually:

Please note that web addresses appearing in the Guide to Advancement are confirmed prior to publication, but they are subject to change.

Once a new or revised requirement appears on one of those web pages, any Cub Scout, Scouts BSA member, Venturer, or Sea Scout beginning work on the next rank (or Eagle Palm) must use the new or revised requirement as stated there.

Changes may also be introduced in youth handbooks or various official BSA publications or releases before appearing on one of the above web pages. In this case, unless official communications set forth a different procedure or establish a date by when use of the old requirements must cease, youth members have through December 31 of that year to decide what to do. They may continue—or begin work—using the old requirements, or may switch to—or begin work—using the new requirements. Scouts who choose to use the old requirements may continue using them until the rank (or Palm) has been completed. Those who have not begun work on a rank (or Palm) by December 31 of the year a change in its requirements is announced must use the new requirements.

For handling changes to merit badge requirements, see “What to Do When Requirements Change,” 7.0.4.3.

Former members who rejoin a BSA program, still as youth members, may carry on in the advancement program and pick up where they left off, but they will not receive credit for activities while not registered. A former member who is
no longer eligible to participate in a BSA program as a youth member due to age, for example, can neither receive credit for completing advancement requirements nor be awarded any advancement-oriented recognition such as ranks or merit badges, etc., that the individual was ineligible to earn as a youth member under the rules in effect at that time.

Version 2021-11-02-F
Links tested: 2021-11-03 04:25 UTC

In the Protect Yourself (PYR) adventure meeting plan there is a note to den leaders that includes the following statement:

Also, in advance, send a notice to parents, legal guardians, and adult partners that this adventure will be about ensuring a youth’s personal safety from abuse. Give them the link to the Protect Yourself Rules for Lions so that, if desired, they can review the material prior to the den meeting. Parents should also be encouraged to once more review “How to Protect Your Children from Child Abuse: A Parent’s Guide,” found in the front of their Cub Scout’s handbook.

On the “Lion Den Record” form

the “parent guide” has a spot to record the date completed between the required and elective adventures.

Version 2021-11-02-C

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.