Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Question about Treasurer Position

Who all in a pack should be on the bank accounts other than the treasurer?

Also, are packs allowed to have debit cards and who should have one?

I suggest reading FISCAL POLICIES AND PROCEDURES FOR BSA UNITS, and BSA discourages unit-owned credit cards, debit cards

In general the Committee Chair, Cubmaster and possibly Charter Org Rep should be signatories on the account.

2 Likes

The key is that by the nature of the charter system units are very similar to franchises and monetary policies are the realm of the owning organization. Your unit’s tax status is inherited from the chartered organization and all assets belong to them.

There is an entire profession related to best practices and there are some issues that aren’t easily resolved. Unit shouldn’t have a card, but is it right to ask a unit leader to put summer camp on a personal credit card? Or can your procedures have a check ready in time?

In the end, there should be discussion of trust and risk. And one should understand that many organizations have been burned in this dance. And I am sure some individuals out there have been burned when an organization didn’t reimburse quick enough.

1 Like

This comment is the winner. The BSA has recommendations, but it’s up the the chartered org and the unit to decide this.

We give debit cards to the key folks that need them - like the Cubmaster who is making small purchases all the time, the campout coordinator that spends hundreds of dollars reserving buildings, and the treasurer so he can easily get cash for reimbursements. Den leaders do not get cards, but we will front them cash.

I wouldn’t be happy spending $600 of my money to reserve buildings for the pack so I’m not willing to ask others to do so either. My opinion is volunteering is enough, we don’t need to throw financial burden on too.

If there is a trust issue, we will deal with it but I just try to be careful who we put in positions of working with money. I’m a den leader and the COR. I have bank account access, and I do monitor the accounts. I do not have a card myself so any purchases I make have to go through the treasurer for reimbursement, or I get cash up front from the bank.

As COR, if people are irrresponsible I’d pick up the phone and cancel their card. If a crime took place I’d contact police.

2 Likes

The ban on debit cards should be long gone. the BSA is dramatically behind in this area.

It should be a debit card, not a credit card though.

Debit purchases instantly hits as pending and you can setup all kind of alerts for purchases over a dollar amount with the dollar amount given, with most banks. A check it can be days before the check clears.

You’ll catch fraud much sooner and have a better chance of recovery of the money.

Don’t necessarily think it’s a member, the card could be stolen. Checks can be stolen too. Cards are easier to block than checks still.

It’s not like a two signature check they mention does anything special. Just fake two signatures with a friend. They’ll have their purchase before it comes back bad all the same. It just enables people to steal in ways a card doesn’t.

1 Like

I suspect that the intent is to discourage the use of single-signature access to making withdrawals (e.g. use of single-signature checks and debit cards). Personally, I think that if you don’t trust your signatories with access to the money, you need different signatories. That said, there is some merit to a belt-and-suspenders approach.

I agree that there’s no more physical security to using checks vs debit cards, especially in the e-check era where you can effectively just enter the checking account number to access it.

2 Likes

Exactly, if you trust your signatories how many signatures is on the check is irrelevant.

1 Like

My take is obviously 2 people and no more than three. As for a card etc, our unit sees things as “planned” and foreseeable. For internet purchases that might require a card, we plan ahead and cut a check to an individual or our Chartered Org who will use their card to make this purchase. In the check comment section it is clearly noted what that check was for. ATM/debit cards are a recipe for disaster and abuse. Also, most notes on the bank transaction will show just a POP number and not a true location and it definitely wont say what it is for. Then there is the question of, “How do we pay for gas and supplies on a pack sponsored outing?” Again, that event is planned for ahead of time. A little planning and foresight will go a long way and prevent future headaches.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.