Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Rank awarding question

Hello,

Can a scout be awarded two ranks at the same Court of Honor? The scout earned Scout rank this month and will be awarded the rank at our next Court of Honor in February. If he finishes Tenderfoot, would he be able to be awarded both Scout and Tenderfoot at the same Court of Honor? I didn’t see a time limit requirement on Tenderfoot rank.

Thank you,

Jason

Yes, they certainly can.

1 Like

A court of honor is just a ceremony. So, yes, a Scout may be recognized for 2 ranks (or more) at the same court of honor.

1 Like

It is entirely possible for a scout to earn up to four ranks before their first court of honor.

1 Like

Thank you everyone.

Jason

True, though the most I’ve seen in the troops I’m involved in is 3. Two is not uncommon at the lower ranks.

It’s quite common for a scout to earn Tenderfoot and Scout simultaneously. Some of us were brought up in the days where Scout was not awarded and all of its requirements were included in Tenderfoot!
But, often we have scouts who earn two ranks between CoH’s. It’s common practice now for the SPL to award the ovals at the end of regular meetings. That way the scout can sew them on that left pocket while working on the next rank.

1 Like

We award the patches at the end of the meeting at which the Scout earns the rank. The court of honor is for the merit badge patches and the “official” card is handed out at the court. This way the Scout gets immediate feedback, and the card serves as proof down the line that the Scout really did meet all the necessary requirements. This way, if he {or she} transfers to a new unit, or goes up for Eagle, and there’s a question, he can prove that the rank was earned, and the date it was earned on.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.