Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Record Scout Rank advancement activities - scoutbook

I am the Unit Advancement Chair and in the Internet Advancement area, I can approve a complete advancement from rank to rank, but I want to be able to enter the troop advancement items from their books into their individual records. Just like physically I would sign off on an item in their book, I would like to be able to enter that into scoutbook to sync their books with the system. I can’t find any way to do that except for my own son. Any help or guidance appreciated.

Does your unit use Scoutbook (scoutbook.com) or IA2 (scoutbook.scouting.org)? It sounds like the latter. The current advice is to use one or the other for tracking advancement.

IA2 is currently centered around tracking completed ranks/awards/badges. For tracking individual requirements, the Scoutbook interface is better. A Unit Admin (by default one of your Key 3, but others can be designated in Scoutbook) needs to set you up with (at least) Edit Advancement permissions in Scoutbook and/or designate you as Unit Advancement Chair in Scoutbook. IA2 and Scoutbook, while interfacing to the same advancement database, have different permissions structures.

I personally prefer the Scoutbook interface with all of its warts to IA2, and my unit only uses IA2 for activities tracking now that it’s been moved out of Scoutbook. All of our electronic advancement tracking occurs in Scoutbook. Some resources to help you get started with Scoutbook include:

1 Like

Thanks for the thorough response but I don’t think this quite answers my question. My troop uses scoutbook.com but when I click on the internet advancement link it goes to https://scoutbook.scouting.org/roster so I think the answer is yes, were using both??

The only thing I want to do is enter advancement requirements for each scout to get them sync’d with their books. For example, the individual report is not the same as their books so I want to get them correct before asking the troop to enter their own requirements. Right now I can do that for my own son but not others. I entered that he completed a leadership requirement (pending approval) for Star Rank, but I can’t do that for any other scout.

Also - I’ve never used anything except scoutbook.com - I am new to the role of Unit Advancement leader and I don’t know what was used in the past.

It sounds like you do not have the correct Scoutbook Connections to Scouts - if you want to Edit Advancements an Admin needs to go in and give you at least an Edit Advancement Connection to all Scouts in Scoutbook

2 Likes

Actually I have all the correct scoutbook connections. I was just not looking in the right place - the answer is in the video below. I admit I saw it was 30 minutes long so I skipped it when initially trying to figure out my issue. Consider this case closed and thanks!

1 Like

Happy you found the fix – if you run into any other questions as you get rolling, remember there’s pretty much always someone here in the forums ready to help you out.

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.