Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Recruiter patch

What are yall’s opinions on awarding the recruiter patch for scouts that recruit their brothers ? I’m kinda iffy about it. I wonder how much of it was the parent that signed up the scout or if the brothers actually recruited their siblings. What do yall think?

I generally ask the scouts what they did to recruit the scout. I don’t have a “rule” for what they have to have done, basically that they had to do something and actually make contact with their new scout. I’ve had scouts who talked to their friend on the soccer pitch about how much fun they were having camping with the pack, and scouts who have done a full-on sales pitch for the troop at recruiting events.

I wouldn’t rule out recruiting of a sibling just because they’re related, and it might have been the parent who drove the decision, at least in part. After all, as someone pointed out at our Lodge Leadership Development session this weekend, the parents are a major part (in some cases the major part) of deciding what Johnny and Janey are going to participate in, not just the youth themselves.

4 Likes

I guess my concern with the vagueness of the requirement is how much of the sibling/parent influence should be counted to earn the award. I’m thinking that if the scout showed hesitation joining after the parent wanted them to join then sibling comes along and tells them how much fun the activities are and the other sibling ends up joining because of that I might see that as earning the badge. what do you think?

1 Like

I try not to read too much into the requirements, at least as much as I can avoid it. I see the thought process, and I kinda agree that there might be a gray area, largely around whether or not the scout did anything at all, rather than whether what he or she did was the deciding factor. By that standard, if a scout were to tell a friend who was already enthusiastic about joining scouts about his or her unit and the friend joined, would that predisposition to join invalidate the recruiting action? I would tend to say the scout still earned the recruiter strip, even if he or she was working with a willing recruit.

My thought is that encouraging scouts to recruit more friends and/or siblings to join is the goal of the strip. I’m more of a facilitator than a gatekeeper on things, at least I hope the scouts see it that way.

3 Likes

I would encourage a discussion with the scout (and perhaps a parent). I don’t think a patch for the happy coincidence of having a younger sibling following along the same path is appropriate. At the same time, there are families that have more than one troop represented. And families where not all siblings belong to the program. So I wouldn’t eliminate the award simply for the unfortunate coincidence that the recruited scout was a sibling.

At the end of the day, I wouldn’t stake a lot of hard feelings on this one award either. Thus if it took awarding it to keep from upsetting a parent I would roll my eyes and cave.

2 Likes

The parent did not bring it up in regards to the scouts I am talking about. I was discussing some non-rank/merit badge awards with some scouts and this one came up casually in the discussion. I don’t think anyone will be upset weather or not they get the award for “recruiting their siblings”. There are a few sibling that might not have wanted to join the program if it weren’t for their brothers already being part of the program.

1 Like

Recently A scout asked me this (I make a big deal of presenting this award for obvious reasons) and I told him that more falls on his parents, and his brother is at half of our troop meetings anyway.

3 Likes

I’m glad I’m not the only one that might have seen this situation. These brothers are a part of a big family and some of them are more shy/introverted than the others and from what I have seen it does seem that the more outgoing brothers did play a big part of bringing the others into the troop.

2 Likes

I think the best way to resolve this is to ask the Scout who has been recruited why s/he decided to join.

I had a girl join last spring, and she said she wanted to be a Cub Scout, because her younger brother (a Tiger) was having such a great time. I gave the younger brother a Recruiter patch. It was clear he played a role in promoting Scouting and encouraging her to join.

Had she said that her mom was bringing her, because she couldn’t leave her home alone, that would have been a different story.

9 Likes

Great idea, thanks!!

3 Likes

His brother joined Scouting - that’s what matters. If the family (parents) influenced the new Scout (there were likely a multitude of influences) and the brother pushed his sibling over the line (the brother - current Scout - was the catalyst), then fantastic. Stop debating how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.