Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Recruiting and Dual Registration studies (Venturing)

Have there been any studies that show either negative, neutral, or positive retention rates when a Scout dual registers with a Ship/Crew?
If there is a study and if it shows neutral or positive retention rate for the Scout (still being active in the Troop while dual registered) it would make approaching Troops for recruiting a lot easier. Troops would be able to review the study and see that the higher adventure programs are not a threat and could even be a positive for their Unit for passing knowledge from the older members to the newer members.

The short answer is “no.” Venturing is such a numerically small number that worrying about something like that borders on straining at a gnat to swallow a camel.

But, once I started advising a crew, I kept a tally. The venturers who were in a Boy Scout Troop, remained in their troop. The ones who were in a Girl Scout troop remained in their troop. The ones who quit, usually quit both. Generally, the boys who weren’t interested in any Venturing activities, eventually quit the troop as well.

My rule of thumb: if you are starting a crew just to increase retention: Stop. Don’t. Just don’t. Direct your time into finding a farmer with a nice piece of property for your boys/girls to camp on, plan a hike from one side of town to the other, then later plan a trek from one side of the county to the other.

On the other hand, if your scouts are attracting youth in the community and want to host some specific activities for them, and there are a few adults just stupid enough to organize it, start a crew.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.