Removing a duplicate activity log

I’ve reported the start time issue to the developers.

1 Like

Thanks Charlie for the detailed reply.

1. We only used the prior system for group activities (if more than 1 boy it would naturally be a group right?). Although to us it doesn’t matter whether boy or group – its just a mess now that activities got broken into many pieces (one for each person!) and data changed since it means editing would be by the dozens (once for each of the many boys), if one could, that is, but as you note in your ETA2 below its still not possible. Also for those who don’t know the tricks of this new tool, it doesn’t autopick “personal activity” so unless you know to go and check that for a search, you don’t see any of these past activities…
  2. The bug (inconsistent so that’s why I’m guessing it might be GMT related) that changes the start day to a day earlier means the total days of camp nights and days goes up one for that activity. This impacts the total nights camped which we need to track for say Camping MB. Makes me wonder if the miles is off for Hiking MB, service hours, etc.
  3. Your note ETA2 matches my experience. One can open one of these past now ‘personal’ activities for each of the boys and try to delete it and replace with a new integrated one, but the X next to each boys name (visible only with newly entered ones) is not there for these. (Your note Jennifer about removing each boy is right, but only for new ones-- these are imported scout book ones so no X mark next to the names) As you found, trying to edit or delete all the data for an entry seems to work but then the EDIT and FINISH button at the end never un-greys so you can’t edit them…
    ps. I’m also Key3 (SM) if that helps

Yeah, I realized that bit, but I was trying to “correct” the contents to see if that was feasible. Seems like the edit “pen” implies that it can actually be edited without removing someone. That’s expected based on my experience on “new” activities created under the IA2 interface.

I wasn’t seeing that in the ones I saw in our records. A weekend activity (Fri PM to Sun AM was still showing 3 days 2 nights in the log). Of course, my start and end dates/times were all 10pm on the first day, so that might be a different symptom suggesting a different issue might be in play.

I want to second this. A huge problem for us is resolving situations where a unit activity created in IA and personal activities created in Scoutbook which were migrated over (and currently cannot be edited or deleted) exist for the same activity, resulting in double (or over/under) counting of hours, or an incomplete record of participants in the unit activity in IA. An easy fix (from the units’ perspective) is to have the ability in IA to edit or delete legacy entries migrated from Scoutbook. Klugy workarounds can fix some of the issues but not where erroneous data were entered in and migrated from Scoutbook.

Is the ability to edit or delete “legacy” log entries imported from Scoutbook even in the development pipeline? I think just knowing this is on the radar would alleviate much of the consternation across the forum over the IA Activity Logs.

2 Likes

It’s being investigated, but why are you making new events to duplicate existing events that were carried over from the old logs? We started clean with the new logs, and haven’t had any issues.

1 Like

Thanks Charley,
yes, like you I was given false hope by the edit pen but you can’t edit anything on the imported activities… thus my hope it can get escalated and fixed after all these months…

For the date totals, digging in deeper I see the bugs are more complex (and hard to decode from a users limited view). Here is an old SB imported activity. Note the date went from the Nov 9th morning to Nov 11th afternoon (not sure of exact times anymore since it has deleted that info we entered at the time!) it was in the prior system to showing just Nov 8 10pm to 10pm (day before and no time):

Now if you edit any of these with the pen you see:

Note this boys name does not have an X to remove him on top right, the dates are wrong in this view, and the top of screen note says 0 participant days and 0 participant nights. But the bottom of screen shows conflicting (still wrong) info if 1 day and 0 nights…

Even more bizarre, by clicking on the “Advanced” tab, it shows 3 days and 2 nights (which is correct):

Now to really confuse us, here is the log report I ran which shows the correct start date and days:

A second bug is visible when trying to run a report from the "Activity Reporting tool to figure out totals. If I open it and click radio button on right to run all dates, as here:

It runs, but leaves out dates from Cub Scouts and auto-switches the radio button back down to “Date Joined Scouts BSA”. So no way to see prior activities which also are tracked for certain things…

A third bug is visible in the import of notes. Here is an activity:

that also had event times in the SB Activity Logs but now also says 10pm-10pm. But note here one person is missing the notes (they are an adult but all were together as one activity in prior system)

There are some unit activities for which not all scouts recorded hours/miles prior to the IA migration. In order to account for the other participants who did not have hours/miles recorded, I created a unit activity and added those scouts to the activity while leaving off others who already accounted for them in SB. Problems arise if those SB entries don’t have correct hours/miles recorded, which currently cannot be changed.

Encountered this problem today. Scouts went camping this weekend and one parent manually entered the event for his scout only. Disappointed to learn that I can’t delete his entry, and if I simply don’t approve it, then it just sits there forever. Was hoping you guys would have a good solution for me. Disappointed this has to be an issue at all. The best resolve I found was to change the scout’s manual entry to 0 nights so therefore the nights are duplicated.

@SaraLynn As a Unit Advancement Chair, you should be able to delete the camping log entry.

It’s the old entries from the legacy logs that cannot be deleted at this time.

Can I add the rest of the troop to the one the parent entered. I do not have the ADD PERSON button

Unfortunately not. Individual activities (which is all that parents and scouts can create themselves) can’t have other people added to them.

Thank you for the info.

I have another one…the event is posted on our Troop Calendar in Scoutbook.com. When I go to quick enter the camping activity log with the other scouts that participated, none of the events show up on the calendar. Is this correct?

That is the expected behavior at this time. The two calendars are not connected right now. I understand from forum posts by SUAC that some sort of unified calendar is in the offing, but I haven’t seen a published date for release.

How and when will we be able to delete legacy log entries for duplicate camping or service activities?
agree with @JamesMayled that knowing whether this fix is in the pipeline will alleviate some concern.

1 Like

You CAN REMOVE THE DUPLICATE (PARENT ENTRIES). YOU HAVE TO CLICK ON THE INDIVIDUAL KID PROFILE. GO TO ROSTER, CLICK ON NAME OF SCOUT, IT SHOWS YOU HIS INFO, PENDING ITEMS, ETC ETC…GO OVER TO THE ACTIVITIES, CLICK ON WHICHEVER CATEGORY, IT WILL THEN SHOW YOU THE HISTORY OF EACH ENTRY. CLICK ON THE THREE VERTICAL DOTS, YOU WILL HAVE TO OPTION TO EDIT OR DELETE ENTRY. AND SINCE IT IS ONE KID, IT WILL REMOVE THE EVENT FROM YOUR COLLECTIVE LIST AS WELL.

Unfortunately there is no option to delete the individual entry if it has already been approved. I recently started a new thread on this, but now that I’ve found this thread, I see that I’m not the only one encountering this problem. How can I submit a formal request to have the ability to delete individual log entries, regardless of their approval status, added as a feature?

1 Like

As a UAC for 2 troops… respectfully, I’m also requesting the ability to “delete” activity entries posted by individual scouts. Have a recent individual entry (not migrated) that has been approved. IA2 allows me to open the activity edit window, but changing the nights/days to Zero will not stick when saved.

1 Like

This is not a solution. I have a “pending” list a mile long if I don’t approve them. How about an “ignore” button so they don’t keep showing up in our pending list? Or better yet a ‘not approved’ button so we can do the correct thing and remove them?

1 Like

I am having the same issue.

1 Like

Have you actually had this work? When I tried it, it just brought me to the same event and won’t let me change the hours (so that they remain changed after editing) or delete the event. It is just another way to get to the same form in the calendar.

1 Like