Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Requirements to Crossover?

Hello, can anyone tell me what the official requirements to crossover to Boy Scouts are?

In my den, I have two scouts who joined last month. These 2 new boys have a lot of requirements that they need to finish at home. One of my new scouts is receiving absolutely no help from his parents. If he doesn’t complete his AOL requirements in time for our Crossover Ceremony in February, will he still be able to crossover with the rest of our den?

(I of course will try my hardest to help these scouts earn their AOL badge, but without parental support, I am doubtful.)

2 Likes

@CRISTALGUESMAN - here are the requirments:

Youth can join Scouts BSA if they have completed the fifth grade and are at least 10 years old, OR have earned the Arrow of Light Award and are at least 10 years old, OR are age 11 but have not reached age 18

All right, thank you very much!

For your new Scouts (5th grade?), if they joined in October they will not meet the six month tenure requirement for AOL rank until March at the earliest. I would recommend talking with the Scouts and their parents to see if they want to go ahead and crossover to a troop (assuming that they are 11 years old in February), or if they want to stay a little longer with the pack and try to finish earning their AOL rank.

Sometimes you can get parents to do things at den meetings. For example, if the parent hasn’t done the parent pamphlet exercises with their Scout yet, you could have them sit down and read the pamphlet, then go through the exercises with their Scout (could be done in about 15 minutes at a single den meeting).

The requirement is six months in the fifth grade. It does not state that they have to be registered for those six months.

The AOL rank requirement says:

1. Be active in your Webelos den for at least six months since completing the fourth grade or for at least six months since becoming 10 years old.

In order to be active in a Webelos den for 6+ months, they need to be registered.

1 Like

Slight aside, but In the event that leaders are slow to charter but a den has been active since beginning of school year (September), would the boy who was active but not yet registered (assume cub master charters in mid-November) still meet the 6 months by March?

1 Like

A Scout is registered as soon as the leaders sign the youth application. A Scout cannot be penalized because a leader does not turn the application in to the Council.

Units should never hold an application until recharter time. They should be turned in shortly after being received.

4 Likes

Thank you all. All this information has been really helpful. I’ll check on the day both boys’ youth applications were signed.

For the purpose of meeting the active time requirements, I’d go from the Earlier of day the scout first attended or the application was completed by the parent. Under the principle that you don’t punish the scout for adults’ screwups, I’m not going to penalize them because their parent forgot to bring their checkbook or was indecisive about whether to sign them up or anything else the adults may have done. As for as the scout is concerned, they joined that first night.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 24 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.