Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Retired Strip Emblem

Quick question to all the knowledgable Scouters out there: When is the Retired Strip Emblem authorized for uniform wear? I asked the question via the Q&A link on the Scout Shop page for the item and the response I got back was “Hi Jeremy, Thank you for submitting this question. We are removing the restriction on this item.”

While I appreciate that the restriction on the item was removed, I still don’t know who would wear this patch and under what circumstances. Mind you, I am no where near “retired” from Scouting. I think that this would be worn in the pace of the “Trained” patch, but if you’re active in Scouting, why would one wear it?

There’s a good summary of the history at Mike Walton’s old website here: "Retired" Strip Not sure if it’s moved over to the new website somewhere.

That’s great information. Thanks for sharing!

1 Like

I’ve seen it used by retired Bsa employees

Retired Strips (2018)

Guide to Awards and Insignia, 33066, ISBN 978-0-8395-3066-4, ©2018 Boy Scouts of America, 2018 Printing, page 82

UNIVERSAL AND NONUNIT INSIGNIA
Professional Scouter Badges of Office

• Retired , No. 281; council Scouter.
  • Employee , No. 611422; council, regional, or national.
  • Ranger , No. 254; council Scouter.
  • Assistant ranger , No. 250; council Scouter

Bill_W Opinion

2021-07-23:

It looks like the editors of the guide moved the non-professional insignia No 281 the professional insignia section. It needs to have its own listing in the universal section and marked “non-professional”. I do not know where the “council Scouter” restriction came from.

2021-07-24:

In the professional badges section the retired strips for Ranger and Assistant Ranger need to have “council Scouter” changed to “council, regional, or national”.

What is a “Ranger”

It looks like camp rangers and assistant camp rangers are professional employees. Campmasters are volunteers, usually for a camping season (or part of one). Rangers and campmasters are “Scouters”.

It looks like confusion is coming from how “council Scouter” is being used to define can which rangers can wear the insigne.

Scouter

An adult registered with the Boy Scouts of America who serves in a volunteer or professional capacity.

per Language of Scouting | Boy Scouts of America

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.