Scout doesn't see group activity to join

I’m an admin for our troop, and I created a group activity for our summer camp. I told my scout to go join the group activity, but it’s not visible to her. Am I missing something obvious?? (I’m only an admin for 1 unit so I know it’s in the right unit.)

TIA!!

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 4.04.52 PM

When you say join, are you talking about the scout using the Scouting app, or via Scoutbook?

It doesn’t work t his way. One records campouts, but one does not join them.

I thought that you could do that using the Scouting app (not from Scoutbook). It used to say so in the documentation. Maybe that never worked properly? I never tried it, and, to my knowledge at least, neither did my son.

ETA: Apparently, it is supposed to work from IA2: As A Parent Or Youth, How Do I Record A New Activity (IA) - Scoutbook Knowledge Base

1 Like

Just tested - I had to jump back a month to get it to load - but it failed when trying to join as a Scout - reported

2 Likes

Good to know, @DonovanMcNeil. I’m still curious as to whether or not its supposed to work from the app (@AprilMcMillan?) and what path the OP’s scout was using that was breaking.

The scout is logged into Internet Advancement (linked from Scoutbook) in Google Chrome. It has worked in the passed. I even made a video to show Scouts how to do it :slight_smile: How to join an activity-campout.mov - Google Drive.

1 Like

Great (well, not great actually…). Looks like @DonovanMcNeil has the right bug reported, then. And now we wait for development to find and squish it… :clock10: :clock1030: :clock11: :wink:

ETA: I realized my keyboard mumbling didn’t make any sense. “Great” that there’s a now-public howto video and that the right bug is being hunted. “Not great” that the bug exists…

1 Like

When you see errors happen if you have a little nerd in you - you can turn on Inspect (or developer mode) > go to Network and clear it > then run action again

Here you see in this instance API registeredParticipants Failed - this is HUGE data to speed up a fix

Screen Shot 2021-07-14 at 5.31.09 PM

Hunh. So, at the risk of revealing how little nerd cred I have in this field, I assume the only indication that there’s an error is that it’s red, or does it actually say error somewhere beyond the boundary of the screen capture?

depends on browser - in this image red is big clue - but also see the process ran for 1.7 seconds which is often a clue too

Cool. Thanks, @DonovanMcNeil. I learned something new. Now I can go home. :wink: