BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Scoutbook Connections - what's the purpose?

What is the purpose of Scoutbook connections? I totally understand parents / guardians having the ability to do their stuff. But why are adult leaders / admins added? They have access to the scouts by virtue of their position & accesses so I can’t see the point. I ask because I’m having to clean up and remove previous leaders and I’m lamenting years from now when someone else has to do that to get rid of me :slight_smile:

I believe that the permissions structure of Scoutbook is architected around the connection system. The connection forms the basis of permitting any type of interaction with a scout. Whether that connection type is Parent/Guardian, Leader, Merit Badge Counselor, Other Family Member defines what those access permissions do. Without the connection, there is nothing on which to base the permissions. Being a Leader doesn’t necessarily define what permissions I should have to any scout in the system. I have to be a leader connected to that scout in order for there to be any reason for me to have permissions to view/modify his or her information.

For example, Full Control by a leader allows Leader Approval of advancement, whereas Full Control by a Parent/Guardian does not. Full Control by a unit Admin, Key 3, or a Parent/Guardian can not be revoked (without first revoking the relationship in Scoutbook). Full Control permissions can be assigned to an adult account with any other type of connection, but can similarly easily be revoked. Since I have no relationship (Connection) to your scout, I should have no mechanism by which I could view/modify your scout’s information (permissions).

I think of it in an object-oriented programming paradigm. People (adults, youth) are objects which have various properties. To allow one object to view/modify another object, you have to give it some sort of permissions. In order to define what types of objects are allowed to view/modify what other types of objects, relationships between the objects are defined. In principle, that relationship may also define what types of permissions are available. I am a Parent/Guardian for my son, a Leader for the scouts in my troop, a Unit Admin for the scouts and adults in my troop, and (potentially) a Merit Badge Counselor for any scout who is/becomes connected to me. Each of those relationships has different types of permissions attached to it, and without a relationship (Connection), I should have no permissions at all.

I think that word salad makes sense, but feel free to ask questions if it doesn’t.

ETA: That’s not to say that the permissions/connections system is easy to use or even necessarily well implemented in its current incarnation. It’s just a rumination on why the connection/permission system is the way it is.

Is there a way to print off a connections report? I try to limit who has access and want to make sure the right connections are with the correct scout.

Not that I’m aware of. The only interface I’ve seen is the Connection Manager. SUAC?

That’s correct. The feature assistant extension provide support for setting connections based on position, though.

1 Like

Be careful about how strictly you limit the connections. Parents cannot email other parents in the unit if they don’t have at least “view profile” set for the other Scouts.

Correct. I think they leave this up to the discretion of the SM. In addition to the SM, the members of our Advancement Committee have access to all Scouts. With full access, they can see when Requirements are submitted. As an ASM, I was asked to sit in on a Review Board for a Scout working on First Class as one member was unable to attend. The other members of the Advancement committee had access to the Scouts records, but since I was just filling in, I was unable to see the Scout and his progress.

Per Section 8.0.0.3 of the Guide to Advancement

Unit leaders and assistants shall not serve on a board of review for a Scout in their own unit

For a Troop, this means the Scoutmaster and Assistant Scoutmasters. For a Crew, the Advisor and Associate Advisors. For a Ship, the Skipper and Mates. None may participate on a Board of Review for their own unit.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.