BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

ScoutBook vs. Blue Cards as "Official Record" for Eagle Board of Reviews

Now that the BSA owns and runs ScoutBook is the reporting from ScoutBook the new “official record” for Scouts as they move to a Eagle Board of Review? If everything has been entered and tracked in ScoutBook is there a risk/need to keep Blue Cards? If a Blue Card is lost will ScoutBook still be enough for the Board of Review?

GTA 8.0.3.0 #4 - A board of review shall not occur until after the local council has verified the application. In the case of a board of review under disputed circumstances, the council must verify all the information that is not in dispute before the board of review is scheduled.

As long as all things are in the national system and the national system does not crash - perhaps. but having a backup is always wise.

1 Like

Thank you Donovan. What is the "GTA 8.0.3.0 #4 " referring to? And is the “national system” now referring to Scoutbook?

GTA is the Guide to Advancement - the official rules of how to manage the advancement program.

So in this instance it is saying it is the Council’s responsibility to make sure all relevant dates for Ranks and Merit Badges are legitimate and entered correctly before the EBOR is granted. Therefore there is no reason for the EBOR to even need the Blue Cards or any kind of proof of completion, since the Council has already verified.

That being said - until you step up at a District level to change tradition, you kind of have to play by their rules

1 Like

I would still keep the blue cards (just in case). The blue card is still the nationally recognized merit badge record (GTA 7.0.0.2 About the Application for Merit Badge (“Blue Card”)). If the Scout loses his / her part of the blue card, the troop should have the unit’s part as a backup.

Yes, Scoutbook is the national advancement database. But it’s good to keep the blue card in case someone forgets to enter something, accidentally changes something, or worse.

I did a bit of research on this subject for my Venturing Crew last year. My council published an advancement guide for the Summit Award. The guide says that electronic records in ScoutBook, or another application, are acceptable evidence of having fulfilled a requirement. In the case of a discrepancy the paper copy of the record is considered the most authoritative. Based on this, our advice to scouts is to maintain their paper copies so disputes can be resolved quickly.

Just realize that your guide is council specific and may not be generalizable to other councils.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.