BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Scouter Dress Uniform

1. From what I can determine the Scouter Dress Uniform for volunteer leaders is the same as the Professional Dress Uniform with a different men’s tie or ladies’ scarf. - NOT TRUE - Per the Guide to Awards and Insignia, 2018 (GAI 2018) volunteers and professionals now wear the same necktie, bow tie or scarf.
  2. The uniform is not fully described in the Cub Scout Leader Book (2018), page 108. Does anyone have a full description? - SOLVED by Peter Hopkins. See GAI 2018.
  3. Both volunteer and some professional men’s ties are out-of-stock at the BSA Scout Shop. Some are not on the Scout Shop website. Need to identify item number changes at BSA Scout Shop.
  4. Does anyone know what the old item number and product name is for the the ladies’ “dress uniform scarf” is? - NO LONGER NEEDED. Item numbers are listed in the GAI 2018.
  5. Sock color for men does not appear to be defined. Black or Navy Blue, both?
  6. What are the current etiquette rules for what ladies wear with skirts?
    7, Any one know where to find Special Scout uniform exception rules that can be used by Special Scouters?

Topic created: 2019-06-30.
This post updated: 2019-07-01 6:29 am PDT

1 Like

Scouter Dress Uniforms

Guide to Awards and Insignia

Per the Guide to Awards and Insignia, 33066 , © 2018 Boy Scouts of America, 2018 printing, Special Regulations, p. 12, reformatted for readability:

Scouter Dress Uniforms
Scouter dress uniforms may be worn by any registered adult volunteer or professional.

The women’s dress uniform is composed of a

• women’s blazer (No 612422, petite; No. 612435, regular),
  • women’s pant (No. 612370, petite; No. 612383, regular) or
  • women’s skirt (No. 612396),

and

• women’s scarf (No. 92102) and scarf ring (No. 128) or * women’s bow tie (No. 74145).

The men’s dress uniform is composed of

• a blazer (No. 612463, short; No. 612475, regular; No. 612487, tall),
  • red and gold fleur-de-lis necktie (No. 646286), and
  • men’s dress slacks (No 612448).

All dress uniforms are worn with a white shirt or blouse.

The embroidered blazer emblem (No. 74144) is worn on the wearer’s left pocket.

With the exception of the white shirt or blouse, all dress uniform items are available from www.scoutshop.org.

Cub Scout Dress Uniforms for Leaders

Cub Scout Leader Book

Per Cub Scout Leader Book, 33221, © 2018 Boy Scouts of America, 2018 printing, page 108, reformatted for readability:

Dress Uniform for Leaders
The Cub Scout leader dress uniform:

• a navy blazer, with
  • gray slacks for men, and
  • gray slacks or skirt for women
  • with appropriate blazer emblem

may be worn on formal occasions.

• Women may wear the dress uniform scarf.
  • Men wear the red/blue/silver striped tie

Editor’s notes:

The men’s dress uniform tie in the Cub Scout Leader Book (2018) does not match the one in the Guide to Awards and Insignia (2018). I do not know the source of the uniform section in the Cub Scout Leader Book (2018), but it may be very old.

I believe the uniform also includes the following not sold by the BSA Scout Shop:

• Black dress shoes
  • Men’s black socks or optional ladies’ stockings

To my eyes, the “navy” color of the blazer and the “blue” color of the tie are variations of the color “navy blue”. The “gray” color of the slacks is a variation of “charcoal gray”.

Last updated: 2019-06-30 07:31 pm PDT

Scout Shop Dress Uniform Items 2019

Many items may be ordered online. Contact your local Scout Shop for assistance in measuring or ordering.

Quoted text is from the Guide to Awards and Insignia, 33066 , © 2018 Boy Scouts of America, 2018 printing, Special Regulations, p. 12,

Per Guide to Awards and Insignia (“GAI”), 2018, page 12:

Scouter dress uniforms may be worn by any registered adult volunteer or professional.

All dress uniforms are worn with a white shirt or blouse.

With the exception of the white shirt or blouse, all dress uniform items are available from www.scoutshop.org.

Blazer

GAI 2018; men’s … blazer (No. 612463, short; No. 612475, regular; No. 612487, tall),

GAI 2018: women’s blazer (No 612422, petite; No. 612435, regular), …

Blazer Emblem

GAI 2018: The embroidered blazer emblem (No. 74144) is worn on the wearer’s left pocket.

Scarfs and Ties

Ladies’s Scarf or Bow Tie

GAI 2018: women’s scarf (No. 92102) and scarf ring (No. 128) or women’s bow tie (No. 74145).

Men’s Necktie

GAI 2018: men’s … red and gold fleur-de-lis necktie (No. 646286)

• Men’s Professional Dress Tie, item: 14147, (Tie Dress RBG FDL PRO) - discontinued
  • Men’s Professional Dress Tie - Long, item 14146, (Tie Dress RBG FDL PRO 61") - discontinued

Skirts and Slacks

GAI 2018: women’s pant (No. 612370, petite; No. 612383, regular) or women’s skirt (No. 612396),

GAI 2018: men’s dress slacks (No 612448).

Scout Shop - Other Dress Items

• Fleur-De-Lis Silk Necktie – Red, item: 648708 (Red Silk Gold FDL) - non-uniform
  • Men’s Universal Dress Tie, item: 723 - old price tag label on box: “723 Tie Mens Dres”, bar code 015000 - not found (June 2019) ; * Men’s Universal Dress Tie - Long, item: 724, 61 inches long - old price tag on box: “724 Long Tie Silk Red/” bar code: 015004; box stamped: “Polyester/Silk blend - Universal - Silver/Red/Navy Striped - WPL 10213” - not found (June 2019); * This tie has silver/red/navy-blue stripes about 0.5in wide and a navy blue Fleur de Lis.

Editor;s Notes

To be checked:, Scout Shop item numbers may have changed

• Men’s dress slacks
  • Women’s skirts and slacks

(Partial draft to be continued)

Last updated: 2019-06-30 10:06 pm PDT

1 Like

I’ve known very few volunteers who wore the dress uniform (which would be the equivalent to a military “class A”).
To do so as a Cub leader would require a pack of youth who never spill a thing and always look after themselves (or a ver charitable dry cleaner.

1 Like

Bill,

I found this information on page 12 of the current Guide to Awards and Insignia.

Scouter Dress Uniforms

The women’s dress uniform is composed of a women’s blazer (No. 612422, petite; No. 612435, regular), women’s pant (No. 612370, petite; No. 612383, regular) or women’s skirt (No. 612396), and women’s scarf (No. 92102) and scarf ring (No. 128) or women’s bow tie (No. 74145).

The men’s dress uniform is composed of a blazer (No. 612463, short; No. 612475, regular; No. 612487, tall), red and gold fleur-de-lis necktie (No. 646286), and men’s dress slacks (No 612448).

All dress uniforms are worn with a white shirt or blouse. The embroidered blazer emblem (No. 74144) is worn on the wearer’s left pocket. With the exception of the white shirt or blouse, all dress uniform items are available from www.scoutshop.org.

On page 9 of the 2012 printing of the Guide to Awards and Insignia, it says:

The Scouter dress uniform is always worn without headgear.

It does not say that in the current version of the Guide.

On page 89 of the 2012 Guide, it says:

The hand-to-forehead salute is correct for flag ceremonies for any person wearing a uniform of the Boy Scouts of America. This includes those wearing the blue blazer dress uniform.

This confirms that the blazer is blue, or that it was in 2012. The words “blue blazer” are not in the current version of the Guide.

It is my understanding that the blazer is navy blue, and the pants and skirt are both grey.

Peter

If I were attending some sort of national award ceremony or going with my den to a national veterans memorial/service I might invest in a dress uniform. Beyond something of extreme significance it seems like a waste of money for me as a den leader.

In reply to:

At our district award and recognition dinners most Scouters are wearing a field uniform (with or without medals). The exceptions have been the council scout executive, a council vice president and a district member-at-large. A chartered organization representative who has units in different Scouting programs might want to wear the Scouter Dress Uniform (though a neckerchief over semi-formal dress, suit and tie, or an organization uniform would also be acceptable)…

As a Scouter and a military veteran, at a memorial service for a Scout or Scouter who is an active or retired member of the US Armed Services. I have the chose of wearing:

• a dress military uniform (with or without medals)
  • the scouter dress uniform (without medals)
  • one of the BSA field uniforms with Scouting medals

(Subtract the military uniform if the Scout or Scouter has not been a member of the military.)

What I wear is dependent on

• is the attire specified in the invitation (the scouter dress uniform is somewhere between “business casual” and “semi-formal”
  • who I am representing
  • do I have a function to perform at the service
  • whether the service (and burial) is indoors, outdoors or both
  • the weather

For my cousin, a BSA and GSUSA Scouter who was also a military veteran, I wore my dress military uniform so I could present the US flag to his wife on behave of the US Government.

Some places of worship expect females, or both males and females to have their heads covered when they are there.

3 Likes

Shelley,

A Scouter dress uniform is appropriate when attending formal fundraising events without your Scouts present. These events are typically held in a hotel ballroom and include a dinner with waiter service.

Peter

2 Likes

I have no information to share.

I noticed a lot of your posts are just “I have no information to share.”. I tried to send a personal message about this, since it’s not really on topic here, but I either don’t have permission or it’s not a feature here.

Anyway, if you have no information to share, there’s no need to reply. It’s not useful to share that, so it’s just cluttering things up.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.