The Advancement Coordinator Role In the Scouts BSA program:
- The registered position is Troop Committee Member (CC)
- The functional role is Advancement Coordinator. (In Cub Scouting it is Advancement Chair.)
- Youth Protection Training (Y01) - Good for 2 years. I suspect most councils are requiring that this training be kept current.
Basic Position-Specific Training
- Completing the basic training for troop committee member gets you the “trained” badge to wear on your field uniform.
- The book that goes with the online training is the Troop Committee Guidebook, 34505, SKU 647783. I believe the 2018 printing is being used for 2019. I recommend getting a personal copy of this guide.
In the 2018 printing of this guide
- The advancement coordinator duties are listed in chapter 4, “Troop Committee Organization and Responsibilities”, pp. 23-24.
- The 2018 printing of the guide mentions the Internet Advancement tool. This tool was recently updated to version 2, “IA2”.
- Chapter 7, “Advancement”, pp. 37-42
Supplemental and Advanced Training
Working toward Scouter’s Training Award comes after completing joining and basic training:
- Scouter’s Training Award for Boy Scouting Progress Record, form 511-058, 2012 Printing - needs to be renamed for Scouts BSA.
For group instruction or individual review:
Journey to Excellence
- Measures improvement
- Objectives are based on past 3-year national performance.
- JTE objectives are designed so about 18% of units will not earn the first level (Bronze)
- Scorecards are revised and published annually.
I recommend getting a copy of the current year’s scorecard from the Journey to Excellence site. Council committee may set higher goals.
You need to use IA2 or Scoutbook (but not both).
- Guide to Advancement - Online version is most current. It may be updated quarterly.
- Scouts BSA Requirements, v. 2019, SKU 648914
- Cub scouting and Scout BSA advancement differences
- Add BSA advancement news to scoutbook main menu - Scoutbook new feature request
- Scout Oath and Law training for adult volunteers
- Scoutbook forums “Internet Advancement” category
DRAFT posted: 2019-09-11
Updated: 2019-09-11 9:16 am PDT