Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Scouts BSA World Conservation Award: "conservation need common to more than one country"

Requirement 4 of the World Conservation Award requires the scout to “participate in a conservation project as part of an approved Scouting program totaling at least three hours that addresses a conservation need common to more than one country.”

Does anyone have any examples of this? I can think of a bunch of conservation needs locally, but the “common to more than one country” throws me. I was thinking about something to do with migratory birds (Canada-Mexico-US)?

Thanks.

“that addresses a conservation need common to more than one country.”

The idea seems to be to get Scouts to “think globally and act locally to preserve and improve our environment. This program is designed to help youth members gain awareness that all nations are closely related through natural resources and that we are interdependent with our world environment.” (BSA Conservation Awards and Recognitions)

IMO and trying to not overthink it, most conservation projects address a conservation need common to more than one country. Some examples:

• invasive plants and animals
  • pollution / litter
  • erosion
  • recycling
  • habitat for butterflies (milkweed for Monarchs)
  • bat houses
  • bee houses
  • etc.
1 Like

Thank you, that makes sense. I read it as requiring an international implication (like migratory birds) but this makes sense as well.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.