Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Sea Scout YPT

What does the following excerpt actually mean: “Notwithstanding the minimum leader requirements, age- and program-appropriate supervision must always be provided.”?
This seems to imply that there must be a female adult leader (or parent of each female scout) on every vessel with a female scout onboard.

I would recommend contacting your local council’s Youth Protection Champion for advice. What I think it means is that even if you have a minimum of two registered adult leaders age 21+ (at least one of whom is female if the activity involves female youth), then you might need more adult leaders depending on the activity and the program. For example: younger Cub Scouts require more adult supervision than Scouts in the older Scout programs. And certain activities (swimming, climbing, shooting sports, etc.) require specific training, which would not be covered by position-specific training.

Guide to Safe Scouting > Youth Protection and Adult Leadership
Adult Supervision

Two registered adult leaders 21 years of age or over are required at all Scouting activities, including meetings. There must be a registered female adult leader 21 years of age or over in every unit serving females. A registered female adult leader 21 years of age or over must be present for any activity involving female youth. Notwithstanding the minimum leader requirements, age- and program-appropriate supervision must always be provided. (Youth Protection and Barriers to Abuse FAQs)

1. This is not a council level document. If scouting.org can’t figure out what this national level document is saying, handing it off to the council is completely inappropriate.
  2. I agree that it could mean there may be extra supervisory requirements beyond the two registered adult leaders. I did not see that before, so thank you for your answer. But, “seems” is not as strong an answer as I’m looking for. I don’t want any ambiguity in our program. With an active media campaign in progress looking for BSA victims, there is no room for anything less than black & white.

Matthew,

Jennifer, like all SUAC members, is a volunteer Scouter. The BSA does not monitor these forums. The Council Youth Protection Champions are the local experts on YPT so they should be your first point of contact. Outside of your Council, you should send an e-mail to myscouting@scouting.org for assistance.

It depends on the vessel and situation. That would be silly on a kayak or small sailboat like a sunfish, or even for day sails where everyone is above decks and visible - as long as the activity has a female adult leader along you should be fine - the rule is about the activity, not the boat. That said, on a larger boat for overnight outings, where people are below decks and not visible to everyone on the activity, I would think you would need one aboard.

3 Likes

Got Questions?

Please review the general Health and Safety FAQs first.

For immediate response, contact your local council service center with questions regarding Scouting safely.

Please fill out the form below to e-mail questions specific to health, safety, or risk management to the national council.

Got Questions? (BSA Guide to Safe Scouting)

1 Like

@TWCook thanks for the response from a National Key 3 - it helps all the volunteers understand the program.

1 Like

I have asked questions and have gotten an “official” response within a week or 2. It was very refreshing.

OK. I’ll fill out the form…
I’ll try to keep this string alive so I can post answers.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.