Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Seabadge pin placement

I am curious about the Seabadge pin placement. According to the uniform guide it says where to put it on a Sea Scout uniform but not a Venturing/Scouts BSA uniform. Is is permissible for a leader to wear the “seabadge” on a non Sea Scout uniform? I know there was a square knot years ago that leaders could wear that I have gotten my hands on. Thanks for the answers.

1 Like

I just finished SeaBadge. We were told it goes centered above the right pocket, above the “Boy Scouts of America”, Interpreter Strip, and/or Nametag. Which is, i think, the same as it is for the Sea Scout uniform… but this was also for those of us with Venturing, Scouts, or Cub uniforms

2 Likes

Thanks for the reply! im planning on taking the course next month. As in my original post I received a few of the trident “square knots” that were issued by national before they were discontinued which, if I finish the course and the rudder, I may put on my uniforms.

1 Like

It’s my understanding that the knot was discontinued to reduce uniform clutter, and while the knot is uniform insignia and remains permanently authorized for uniform wear, it is no longer the apprpriate recognition item for those completing Seabadge after 2012, and it is discouraged in all cases.

There are also many unauthorized private issues of Seabadge knots which do not belong on the uniform. It may be that the widespread existence of these played a role in getting the knot cancelled.

The knot was deleted at the same time as the many Cub Scout leader knots were eliminated. So, wearing the knot for a course completed after 2012, is similar to someone earning the Den Leader Training Award as a Webelos Leader and wearing the old Webelos Den Leader Award knot rather than the Den Leader Training Award knot with a Webelos device.

Although there’s no question that Seabadge requires a lot of effort, it is nevertheless true that it is just a rigorous advanced training course, and it is the only training course for which a knot was ever authorized. While the rudder is performance based, the Wood Badge ticket is as well, and it is not recognized by a square knot. So, in my opinion, the bar set by recognizing Seabadge with a square knot is too low. I can think of lots of other awards not recognized permanently by square knots that are above that bar, particularly awards earned by youth,

I’m not telling you not to wear the knot. The decision about your uniform is yours to make. I just wanted to raise some points I think are important to consider.

I never brought up unautherized patches and I doubt that that was one of the reasons because National now makes different colors of the same knot to match each of the different Sea Scout uniforms.

To my knowledge the requirements for the wolf/bear knot requirements were different from the WEBELOS and Tiger.

@JeremyPenner - I didn’t mean to imply that you were talking about private issue Seabadge knots. I mentioned them, because there are so many of them. They are so widely available that many reading this post may not realize they are actually private issue, and the official knot emblem has been deleted.

When the three separate 1989-2012 den leader awards were collapsed into one knot that could be earned three times (now four with the addition of Lions), the requirements for the old award were reconsidered and weaved into the new single list of requirements where appropriate. That’s why one of the performance requirements is

Participate with your den in at least one family camp; if your den is a Webelos den, participate with your den in at least two overnight camps.

This additional burden when earning the Den Leader Training Award as a Webelos den leader comes from the 1989-2012 Webelos Den Leader Award requirement:

Take leadership in planning and conducting two Webelos overnight campouts or other outdoor den activities each year.

Although the requirement for the old award used the phrase “each year,” certainly by 2000, the tenure required was only one year. Originally, the award required two years of tenure, one of which could be as an assistant Webelos den leader. See page 8 of Cub Scout Program Helps 1990-1991 included as an insert in the May-June 1990 issue of Scouting.

When the three awards were combined, it became more difficult for Tiger den leaders to earn them. Five of the ten performance requirements must be met. Three of them cannot be met by a Tiger (or Lion) den leader, because they don’t have assistant den leaders or den chiefs. As a practical matter, some may find it appropriate to substitute adult partners for assistant den leaders when considering whether a Lion or Tiger den leader has met the requirements for the award.

At the risk of taking this thread sideways, is there actually a prohibition on having den chiefs for Tiger dens? They were a huge help to me as a new Tiger DL way back when…

@CharleyHamilton and @PeterHopkins yes please see the question in my original post about trident placement.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.