Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Supernova over 2 years

For Cub Scouts working on Supernova - can they count activities they have done over 2 years, or does it all have to be done in one year? For example - the Luis Alvarez award spans three Scouting years. Can a Bear Scout get “credit” for the Code of the Wolf adventure they did as a Wolf for their Supernova pursuit?

Doug Seven
Bear Den Leader, Pack 571

My understanding is everything except the adventures from the Wolf year can count if finishing in the Bear year. FYI, it only spans two years, since Tigers are not eligible.

References

STEM Nova Awards Requirements

Nova Awards FAQ

Q: Where do you find the requirements for the Nova Awards?
A: Basic requirements can be found here. Complete requirements can be found in the Nova Awards guidebooks available from your local Scout Shop html icon or ScoutShop.org html icon.

Q: When can youth begin work on the Nova Awards program?
A: The Nova Awards program begins with the Wolf den.

Q: Can youth get credit for a previously earned merit badge, belt loop, or pin?
A: Yes, but we do encourage Scouts to consider earning new ones so they can explore new interests.

Q: Can youth earn a Nova award more than once?
A: Yes. If a Scout completes the requirements a second time, doing completely different activities, they may earn a second Pi pin for the same Nova.

Q: If I have additional questions or a comment or suggestion, whom do I contact?
A: You may send an email to myscouting@scouting.org

So if they are currently a Bear, and did Code of the Wolf during their Wolf year, that would not count toward Luis Alvarez Award, is that correct?

Seems weird that some activities would count by adventures don’t.

Have you spoken to a Supernova Counselor? I would think if the Scout started the Supernova as a Wolf then Wolf adventures would count. If the Scout started the Supernova as a Bear, then the Wolf adventures would not count.

1 Like

That’s correct. I don’t remember where I saw this published, though. It was buried pretty deep somewhere.

1 Like

Doug this is really a question for the Scout’s Supernova Counselor. As a Supernova Counselor myself for me personally if I have a Scout that is actively working towards the Supernova I count activities over the 24 months. If done right, this award takes time and energy. Scouts are given both the Wolf and Bear years to complete. If a Scout started the award as a Wolf and in good faith completed activities and rank adventures, but still needed time to complete activities should be counted.

3 Likes

I’m the one that clears Supernovas for my Council.
This is a source of much confusion: The person who works with, and signs off, is a Supernova MENTOR. To have this position the adult must have been approved BEFORE they work with youth, either by the STEM Committee, if there is one, or, by the Advancement Committee. The requirements for the Mentor position include a STEM education AND experience.
Nova Counselors sign off Nova awards, but not Supernovas.

Now, for the awards.
There is a difference between the Nova and Supernova. The Nova is an introductory activity, and gets a patch and subsequent pins. The Supernova is designed to be much more intensive, and gets a medal.
Unfortunately, at the Pack level the Novas are not required to earn the Supernovas. They are “highly recommended” but not bothered with by many. At the Scout level the Novas are required as part of the Supernovas. But you are asking about the Pack level awards.

The Alvarez is for Cubs and can be done over the two years of Wolf and Bear. Townes is for the years covering Webelos and AOL. Both awards are inclusive of the respective time periods. Look at National’s STEM pages for what is required. We have a few in my Council who have earned both Alvarez and Townes. It’s not too common.
What you can’t do is have something done during Bear and have it count for Townes. Nothing done by a Tiger counts.
The awards are not dependent on each other. Both are awarded a medal and a bronze bar. Neither award carries over to Scouts. That is, the medals and bars earned while in a Pack are not worn on the Scout uniform.
The Pack level not being dependent on each other is not the same as at the Troop level. At the Troop level the awards are earned in a sequence, Harris and then Edison.

Councils are finding there are many more Pack level awards than Troop level. In my Council, for the time the awards have been available, there have been about 120 Pack level awards as compared to 5 Troop level awards. It’s parents pushing rather than self directed Scouts. And, the Scout level are significantly more difficult. The first one is arguably harder than Star.

Thank you, @DavidSchilpp. Lots of good info clearly and thoroughly presented.

One point for clarification -

This does not seem to match the BSA Guide to Awards and Insignia, page 72 -

Supernova Award, bronze bar pin, No. 643290, worn above left pocket, for Scouts who have earned the Dr. Luis W. Alvarez Supernova Award, Dr. Bernard Harris Supernova Award, Dr. Sally Ride Supernova Award, or the Dr. Charles H. Townes Supernova Award. If multiple Supernova awards have been earned, only the highest award earned may be worn.

Supernova Award, silver bar pin, No. 643054, worn above left pocket, for Scouts who have earned the Thomas Edison Supernova Award or the Wright Brothers Supernova Award. If multiple Supernova awards have been earned, only the highest award earned may be worn.

Supernova Award, gold bar pin, No. 642988, worn above left pocket, for Scouts who have earned the Dr. Albert Einstein Supernova Award. This award may be worn by Scouters who earned the award as a youth.

The instructions do not limit the bar to the program where it was earned. It seems that a Cub Scout who earns bronze and then moves to a troop and/or crew may wear a bronze bar until they earn a silver bar. And, having earned silver, may wear it for both troop and crew until earning gold in the crew. Then they may wear gold for both troop and crew. And gold continues on to the adult uniform.

1 Like

I’ll check with my contact on the National STEM Committee.

The almost comical part of the award system is that the gold bar is the only one that goes up to adult level. Of course, how many of those have been awarded since the program started? Eight. Grand national total.

And, will there ever be a knot? Was told by someone in National STEM office that there will be no knot as National wants to reduce the number of knots. Drives me nuts as the vast majority of knots are for adults. Ever notice the differential in numbers of adult knots on those with an Eagle knot and those without.
Great knot for this would have pins on it like the Den Leader knot. Not gunna happen.

David was correct - the bar pins earned as a Cub Scout are NOT worn on the Scouts BSA uniform. Similarly, bar pins earned as a Scouts BSA are NOT worn on the Venturing uniform.

Didn’t have to check with her. Lisa was who I was going to email.
If she says that’s how it work, well then, that’s it.

The Guide to Awards is not very clear. Besides that, they listed the bronze awards in alpha order, which made me think they didn’t quite know what they were looking at. I would have put them in age order. Their constant use of the word “Scouts” in a generic sense is also problematic. Another hint, the Einstein can only be earned at the Venture level. They kept referring to Scouts.

@DavidSchilpp - I disagree about the Guide not being very clear. I recently answered someone’s question about this and reached the same conclusion as @DougWright. The fact that they didn’t list the awards in age order was even more convincing. I supported my conclusion by looking at the general rule that Cub Scouting insignia is not worn on older youth uniforms, and the bronze bar has no indicia to make it “Cub Scout insignia”, and the recognition item is not unique to Cub Scouting. I equated the bronze bar to a youth religious award square knot or to a Recruiter strip. They are insignia that may be earned by a Cub Scout, but they are no “Cub Scout insignia.”

@LisaBalbes - There are lots of uniforming issues in the BSA, but there are still many who want to wear the uniform correctly. If you’re in a position to do so, please make sure the Guide to Awards and Insignia gets updated to help people understand the rule. Unless people read this post, they’ll have no way of knowing that a bronze bar earned as a Cub Scout gets retired after graduation from the pack.

@LisaBalbes Would you mind commenting on the OP also?

Can you tell me what OP stands for?

@LisaBalbes Original Post. The FAQ would seem to say that earning one of the Wolf adventures could count toward the Supernova award that is otherwise earned in the Bear year. But the phrasing of the FAQ is not specific to Cub Scouts, which makes me wonder.

OP is either Original Post, or Original Poster, depending on context.
Ninjaed by @jacobfetzer again! :slight_smile:

There appears to a good amount of segmentation between groups at the National level. When I emailed the folks who put out the quarterly Advancement newsletter to ask them why they don’t have any updates on the STEM awards, or other awards, the reply was that they only include information about ranks. Nothing else. As that’s a ‘publication’ that gets sent out regularly, it seems awards would be nice to have included.
I’m guessing the folks who wrote the Guide might have same problem, or someone in STEM missed it while editing. But, the Einstein SN not referring to Venturing gives me a pretty big clue that something was missed at some stage.

I posed the question to National. The Bronze bar no matter when earned (Cub, Webelos, Scout) can be worn through the youth’s scouting career (Scouts BSA). The bronze and silver bar do not carry over to a Scouter uniform. If the scout earns the silver bar the scout changes the bar. If you need confirmation, my contact was Jerry Radke (Jira) (support@scouting.org)

I posed the question to National. The Bronze bar no matter when earned (Cub, Webelos, Scout) can be worn through the youth’s scouting career (Scouts BSA). The bronze and silver bar do not carry over to a Scouter uniform. If the scout earns the silver bar the scout changes the bar. If you need confirmation, my contact was Jerry Radke (Jira) (support@scouting.org)