Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Swimming Rank Advancement on Dry Land

Can anyone suggest ways to complete First Class Requirement 6e on dry land? I had thought maybe wait for some snow.

For clarity, the following swimming requirements can be completed on dry land and are not a hindrance to advancing:
Second Class requirement (5c) Demonstrate water rescue methods by reaching with your arm or leg, by reaching with a suitable object, and by throwing lines and objects.
First Class requirement (6e) With a helper and a practice victim, show a line rescue both as tender and as rescuer. (The practice victim should be approximately 30 feet from shore in deep water.)

these are easily done in a parking lot or off a curb - heck I have Scouts practice that way in normal times - it take technique to throw a rope 30 feet

2 Likes

It really helps if you have a lifeguard or volunteer fireman go over these with the youth. Wet practice or dry practice, there’s a lot that can go wrong with these rescues in real life. Someone whose had experience in actual rescues can make the difference in these scouts actually forestalling death down the line.

2 Likes

Thanks. My BF is a firefighter and Eagle Scout. I’ll have him help.

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.