Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

Temporary Changes for Citizenship in the Nation MB?

Our troop is working on the Cit in Nation MB. Visits to Federal buildings/Historical sites are required. Are the Scouts allowed to do this virtually if available?

If I were you, I’d arrange a camp out near an outdoor historical site. You’ll miss some indoor exhibits. But have some fun in the process.

2 Likes

This topic has come up before fairly recently. Take them to the Post Office for the Federal Building. Just about every town has one and it’s also a teaching moment on how a Post Office Works.

You are actually talking about Requirement 2:

Do TWO of the following:

1. Visit a place that is listed as a National Historic Landmark or that is on the National Register of Historic Places. Tell your counselor what you learned about the landmark or site and what you found interesting about it.

2. Tour your state capitol building or the U.S. Capitol. Tell your counselor what you learned about the capitol, its function, and the history.

3. Tour a federal facility. Explain to your counselor what you saw there and what you learned about its function in the local community and how it serves this nation.

4. Choose a national monument that interests you. Using books, brochures, the Internet (with your parent’s permission), and other resources, find out more about the monument. Tell your counselor what you learned, and explain why the monument is important to this country’s citizens.

As you can see, Option 4 allows the internet.

You would be surprised in what you can find in the National Register of Historical Places.

As MB Counselor for this topic, I frequent discover most Scouts have already met this requirement without their knowing until I speak with them about what’s available in the area.

I think in-person visits whenever possible and safe is is always the best experience for a Scout.

2 Likes

My wife is an MBC for this one. I asked her if she’d consider approving a virtual tour if a Scout claimed credit with one. She said that the emphasis is on the knowledge gained, and while an in-person tour makes the experience more fun or immersive, a virtual tour will still give the Scout the same opportunity to learn about the site and the historical significance.

Obviously an in-person visit is preferred if available, but she sees no problem with accepting a virtual tour if discussion with the Scout proves they learned from it the same things she would expect them to learn from a live tour.

@JGalle, does she know that there are 5 places in your County that’s on the National Register of Historical Places?

This has been an area I’ve really been researching to have more local options. It’s surprising.

3 Likes

I think she knew of a few, but I’ll pass along the site! She’s an MBC for the Council, so knowing where sites are in neighboring counties would be very useful! Thanks!

@SherylWhitted Please see the BSA’s COVID FAQs:

Q: What changes have been made to rank advancement/camping requirements given the need to maintain social distancing during this time?

Some advancement activities can be completed by video conferencing but not all. For example, virtual visits to a city council meeting, national historic landmarks, museums, and art galleries may be acceptable, but swimming, rifle shooting, and motorboating merit badges cannot be completed virtually.

And also:

Q: Can merit badge requirements be adapted since some elements can’t be completed as stated right now?

The published guidelines for the methodology of the merit badge program and the role of the merit badge counselor is found in the Guide to Advancement, Section 7.0.0.0. It is important to remember that leaders and merit badge counselors must not make additions or deletions to requirements. The Scout is expected to meet the requirements as stated; however, in some cases, virtual “visits” may fulfill the intent of a requirement. When the requirement’s intent cannot be reached virtually, the requirements cannot be completed, and the Scout must wait to complete that badge/requirement. Merit badge counselors signing off on requirements must determine to the best of their ability if the Scout has demonstrated the intended outcome.
All existing youth protection policies and digital safety guidelines must be followed.

1 Like

It is ALWAYS allowed to do it virtually even without covid.

Which part of “IT” are you referring to?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

visiting a museum virtually

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.