Welcome! This forum has a treasure trove of great info – Scouters helping Scouters! Just a heads up, though - all content, information, and opinions shared on this forum are those of the author, not the BSA.
BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

Scouting Forums

The Coronavirus Impact on Scouting

Our local scout shop just announced they will be closing temporarily. Looks like scoutshop.org reduced the free shipping amount to $75, it would be even more helpful to units that are struggling financially if shipping could be waived entirely (at least on orders which only include advancement items)

1 Like

Our Den leaders are going online with free WebEx and Zoom accounts. I have sent some fun things to do at home for parents from the Lion handbook. We may up our meetings from monthly to weekly so the Scouts can see all Scout friends are all well. I am considering making video’s that may fulfill requirements in person and see where it takes my Scouts.

2 Likes

Our pack (Cub Scout Pack 199) just held our first online Pack Meeting last night and the feedback was great. It was a Facebook Live session in our private group from our Cubmaster’s house where we presented virtual advancements and discussed upcoming events and activities. We also made some activity videos which we shared online using private (unpublished) links in YouTube in our channel. We also distributed all of this information via e-mail to our pack families just to make sure they had access in case they couldn’t make the live meeting for some reason.

1 Like

They will limit and punt to local District and Troops. Our troop like many had our meeting placed closed, its being a church. We are having virtual weekly meetings and virtual Merit badge classes for item the boys and girls can do on there own at home.

2 Likes

And all the Citizenship MB’s too

2 Likes

We have been running daily Environmental Science merit badge meetings using Zoom, and are about to begin Oceanography and Citizenzhip in the Community. We are working out how to conduct the outdoor segments without social interaction, and are leaning towards each family driving separately to the activity location, and then working in the same general vicinity separated by 10-15 feet from each other.

1 Like

That’s not even permitted here in Michigan, with the current shelter-in-place order from the Gov.

2 Likes

Obviously, rules differ from state to state, and at least here in California from city to city.
Given the lack of hard data, it is difficult to determine what contitutes “safe” social distancing. I am not advocating breaking rules or putting people at risk… just trying help the youth stay active and suceed in the program given the current circumstances.

1 Like

For normal breathing the droplets of water in your breath are expected to have dropped to the ground (or floor) within 6 feet (c. 2 meters). If you sneeze they can travel many feet more. So if you have hay fever or something else that causes sneezing please wear a mask. (I am trying to find the academic research study about how far you can sneeze that I read many years ago.)

Injecting a little humor, the National Park Service recently offered this guidance:

3 Likes

I believe a recent New England Journal of Medicine article says viral particles can remain in the air for three hours. So even if you are by yourself, you can still possibly become infected if someone who was contagious was in the area.

That guy must have once been a Buffalo!!! lol

1 Like

This came out after a video of a reporter went viral. The reporter was standing on an empty road and a herd of bison wandered his direction.

2 Likes

Ok trying a zoom meeting with the PLC tonight, we’ll see how it goes

We did one last night and it went pretty well. My biggest bits of advice are to make sure your SPL has a clear plan for the meeting, and also ask people to log in a few minutes early to make sure all the tech bits are working.

1 Like

We’ve done two PLC meetings over the last 2 weeks trying a few platforms and ZOOM is easily the best for our needs. Being limited to 40 minutes is a minor setback, but you can launch a new meeting immediately at the end of the first so it’s not a big issue.

We are going to do our first SM conference this week and have all of the YPT requirements in order and I’m looking forward to seeing how this works.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 7 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

I have been trying to get the PLC done virtually for a year because we were having so much trouble setting one up and scouts attending. Suddenly the boys had to do everything virtually. PLCs, SM conferences, Board of Review, we even had a virtual camp-out with everyone camping in their own yard. We now do not have any reason not to have a PLC even after this is over with and w can meet in person.

1 Like